Got it, but a small problem..

kencayton

Finally picked up my beautiful A2 from the garage today..

DSC00577.jpg

(sorry camerea phone isn't too good, I'll use the digital one tomorrow)

All's good so far apart from one problem, the petrol flap doesn't open upon pressing the button. When I looked at it first before I bought the car, it worked, however now it doesn't open at all. I've figured out the manual release from the boot, but I was wondering whether anybody has any ideas about it?
Everything else about the car works brilliantly, love the drive, handling and style, just this small niggle..:)

Thanks for your time.

You will need a new button. Or remove it and reconnect the connector. I know this problem.
It will be this by 85-95% chance;)

Thanks for your quick response, will try removing the button and reconnecting first thing in the morning, otherwise I'll look to get a new one. When removing the button is there a technique to it, or just a bit of brute force?

Will be difficult, cause you must remove the B-pillar trim. And for that remove the downer A-pillar trim first. Just pull it up with power/some force(there are 3 clips).

No, it is more easy: You don't need to remove any trim, you can push the top end from the B-pillar trim away and you reach the back side of the switch.

The switch: 8Z1 959 833 "Drucktaster für elektrische Kraftstoffeinfüllklappenbetätigung" 10,55 EUR plus fat.

Last edited:
Are you pressing the button with the door open otherwise the button doesnt work.Just checking in case you didnt realize.

Ken, there's no need to remove any other trims - just get your fingers in where the seat belt disappears and pull sharply out. There are 2 clips at the top and then you can get in to the switch area. Release the tabs to release the switch.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you all for your useful and prompt replies. Right, I mangaged to prise the switch out quite easily, thankfully no need to remove trim. Once the switch was out there was a red wire clipped into the back which I removed and replaced again, no joy unfortunately. Going to try some switch cleaner in a bit (when I find it...;)), other wise I'll have to buy a new one. Just out of interest how would you recommend I go about it?

Since I picked it up yesterday, this is definately the garage's problem, but it might be easier if I just buy the switch myself, keep the reciept and ask for the amount back?

Or just let them do it?

Last edited:
Looks like you'v got yourself a really example and expect you want to keep it that way, which is why I like your parking style, 6 foot from the car next to you and no parking on the near side.
Dont blame you, as todays carparks have these Neandertal's lurking who just seem to use your car as a door stop. I normally park mine miles way, but then so far it has'nt got dinged.

Thanks very much Colin:)

lol You're right about the parking, the picture was taken in the Tesco car park next door to the garage, with myself being rather nervous..

As for the switch I've decided to just leave it and get the garage to fix it, the car's too young for it to be my problem just yet. Thanks for everyone's advice and input.

Which leaves me the rest of today to fit my stereo in to the car in preparation of the shake down cruise to Bath tomorrow. Can't wait:D

Stereo?
You know about the CAN data-BUS problem with cars newer than produktion 6/2001? (model year 2002 and newer)
Otherwise search the forum for the words or is it older than 6/2001?
Or is it an original Audi stereo?
One button in the front of the radio: Old version without CAN.
two buttons at the front in the stereo: Chorus 2 or Concert2 with CAN-BUS.

That looks really smart Ken. :) Was the colour-coding of the lower body plastics ever an Audi thing or would that have been done since manufacture?

Stereo wise, there was already an aftermarket one in, just removed that one and fitted in my Sony one. Seems to be working well but thanks for your concern.

Ed, I'm not sure. It looks very well done, so leads to think it was probably an Audi thing, or a very good job.

lol The key fob battery has just died so I'm off to get it changed, thank God for spare keys!

Back