Got One (but have a problem)

A2 B

Hi I'm new to the forum so please excuse me for asking a question straight away . I've just bought a 2001 A2 1.4 SE (private sale), it drove really well on the test drive around some local roads but on the way home on the motorway it started to get a really bad vibration through the steering wheel. I thought that it could be a tracking problem but it seems too bad a shake, could it be a drive shaft if it's so bad? or something else? :confused:

Thanks for any help :D

Check the wheels for buckling - ie have they gone egg-shaped?

Take the car in to any tyre fitting place and get them to do a balance for you. This type of problem usually only appears at higher speeds.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the reply :) I've checked the wheels and they are all very clean with no curbing at all. So it must be the wheel balance then.

H2B

if you get the vibration at 55 to 60mph or their about then it points to the balancing but you can somtimes drive through it

cheers
Robin

Kerbing isn't a sign of buckling - this occurs on the inner edge of the rim, as there are no stiffening spokes here.

It is perfectly possible to have all 4 wheels buckled and have no kerbing damage at all - it happened to me with my OE sport wheels!

Cheers,

Mike

Back