Grinding noise and rocking side to side

i can hear this sound from rear driver side wheel, not soo much grinding
just a noise as though something is rubbing also the car slightly rocks side to side as i drive at slow speeds 10-20 mph higher speeds can't tell

do i have a buckled wheel or could it be something else...the rocking or i can feel the backend whobble is very noticeable and seems to come from rear driver side wheel

Could be several things. A buckled wheel would be very obvious if it was causing problems at low speeds.

Could be that the balance came loose from the wheel - again, you don't usually notice that at low speeds.

I have experienced a broken spring on our A2 causing a grinding noise - read the recent tread. Could possible be the problem althour our problem was on the front passenger side.

You could take the wheel off and take a look. I would reckon the something causing problems at low speeds would be pretty obvious.

Check the tyre profile.I had A belt break internally on one of my tyres distorted the tyre and caused a backend wobble at low speeds.Block the front wheels,jack the car up and give it a spin by hand you will see it no probs.:)

its not soo much a grinding noise more like a tyre rubbing against something
but it can be heard outside aswell just can't see what it could
think i'l have to get the car booked in.

would a broken spring cause that?

Probably not at the back. Can do at the front when the wheels are turned.

Have you taken off the wheel and had a look?

its not soo much a grinding noise more like a tyre rubbing against something
but it can be heard outside aswell just can't see what it could
think i'l have to get the car booked in.

would a broken spring cause that?

If your tyre is that close to the wheel arch that it is rubbing against it then you really need to investigate why.Check make sure your wheel studs are tight.(this is the most unlikely cause) If loose this has probably cost you an alloy as the stud holes will be elongated.Tyre profile, if the belt has broken the tyre will distort and rub against the wheel arch causing low speed wobble and noise(likely cause).Buckled alloy will give the same effect as tyre profile.After that your next cause is a really dodgy wheel bearing.Failing that some sort of suspension collapse causing the car to sit down on top of the tyre but this will not cause a wobble at low speeds just noise as the tyre rubs against the arch.Get it checked as soon as possible in anycase.

it looks like the problem is at the front axle, the car is kind of rocking side to side a kind of wobble at low speeds...i had the back axle looked at
and changed the shoes thought this might be causing the problem as one side maybe seized. Unfortunately was running late didnt get a chance to look at front end.

any ideas what could be causing this at front looks like front passenger side

I recall one of our club members had a wheel bearing come loose in the housing, causing the brake to bind among other things. A collapsed wheel bearing is another possibility.

Cheers Spike

what would happen if you carry on driving because i have to book the car
in. does seem like a bearing can this cause additional damage to the car?

Back