Grinding noise from wheel

pgodoe

Just experienced a really high grindig noise from the right front wheel. Got worse at lower speeds. 1-30mph. Had to make a stop as it sounded as a serious fault. Could not find anything wrong, so I drove on. All of a sudden, it just stopped. Now it seems fine. It was really loud and grinding. Could it have been some loose bits from the brake-pad? Was quite worried for a moment there, as it sounded as the cars was falling apart.

Cheers,

-P-

Hi there - dont have an answer for you, but take comfort in the fact that our A2 has had the exact same symptoms on the nearside twice now, and this was on brand new discs and pads.
Second time it was so loud that I took Ada to my mechanic (during which journey the noise promptly stopped) only to be told the car was fine after a check over -As it has not happened again, my amateur diagnosis is a stone or similar stuck between the disc and the metal guard plate behind it :D Though Stevie (mechanic) sarcastically said it was a mix of me painting Ada's brake hubs and calipers with Hammerite, and washing her too often:eek:
Has anyone else experienced this noise, or know what the cause is?

Thats funny washing it to much thats a new one on me lol, to me it sounds just what Murdo has said a stone, still can't get over that washing to much never happened to me and i wash mine all the time lol

Cheers Phil

Just experienced a really high grindig noise from the right front wheel. Got worse at lower speeds. 1-30mph. Had to make a stop as it sounded as a serious fault. Could not find anything wrong, so I drove on. All of a sudden, it just stopped. Now it seems fine. It was really loud and grinding. Could it have been some loose bits from the brake-pad? Was quite worried for a moment there, as it sounded as the cars was falling apart.

Cheers,

-P-

Hi pgodoe,

Never had a stone caught in the brake disc of my A2, but I did get one on the rear disc of a Seat Leon. Thought the exhaust had fallen off. Jacked the car up, removed the wheel and the stone was fetched out with a long screw driver. It's amazing how much a tiny stone can make such a horrendous noise.

John.

Thanks!

Well, its all sorted out. Appreciate all explanations!:) Although, during my inspection, I noticed my brake discs were getting thin...It can be expensive examining your car:)

Maybe not that expensive. Look for Mintex A2 on eBay, and search mintex on the forum. Fab components and only £45 for the front discs and pads. Then depends on your DIY skills how much more it costs! :D

Maybe not that expensive. Look for Mintex A2 on eBay, and search mintex on the forum. Fab components and only £45 for the front discs and pads. Then depends on your DIY skills how much more it costs! :D

I know, but they don't ship to Norway:(

Remarkable,
My wife came home a few days ago with the same complaint to me, a grinding/metallic noise near the right front wheel.
I parked the car in the garage, heard the noise, (almost got a heartattack).
Couldn't see anything strange. Lifted both front wheels, wheels just spinned fine. Testdrive done, no sound anymore, braking still fine.
Shoot me :confused:

cu,
Louis

btw, happy new year

Just experienced a really high grinding noise from the right front wheel. Got worse at lower speeds.

Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and there was a small stone between disc and guard. it really did sound bad and my wife wouldnt believe it was just a stone

I remember when I had this too, it did sound bad, it was a stone that was collected up on the back of the alloy/wheel somewhere, it was off a newly resurfaced road. I thought my exhaust had fell off..

I've had this myself, many moons ago - sounded bl**dy awful and even pedestrians were pointing at the car as I went past - one knocked on the window as I pulled up and asked if I knew that my wheel was about to fall off - it sounded that bad!

Turned out to be a stone caught between the splash shield and the disc/caliper.

Cheers,

Mike

Back