grinding noise

sikhmans

Hi,

recently I have been experiencing a grinding noise coming from the front of the dash...has anyone experienced this?

What could it be? Please can someone help :(

Hi,

recently I have been experiencing a grinding noise coming from the front of the dash...has anyone experienced this?

What could it be? Please can someone help :(

Hi sikhmans
Its always difficult to translate unusual noises into a word description so it would help if you could give us a bit more info to go on.
For example, does it only happen on bumpy roads, is it related to certain engine revs or road speed

Cheers Spike

noise

Sorry...well the noise is coming from the front of the dash and the sound is like a turning of plastic cog's-ish lol Really hard to explain :-/ :confused:

Kinda like the noise when you twist your tounge in your mouth and suck in :-/ :confused: The noise last for a maximum 2 seconds but a repetative one and constant.

Really sorry for the unusual interpretation.

The is almost always heard, I think the fan sometimes can help when turned on, and sometimes disappears with that on.

Has anyone had this issue...its driving me mad!!! lol

It's to do with a positioning motor for the defroster flap in the ventilation system - don't worry about it too much, but I agree, I can be annoying.

Unfortunately, the only solution is to remove the dash and then strip down the flap assembly, clean and re-assemble, which is around 8-9 hours work! Best to just turn up the music!!

Cheers,

Mike

the noise again...

After hearing the noise correctly now, I've come to the conclusion that it sounds like a creek more then a grinding sound.

The sound is very similar to floor boards that creek....does this help?

Is this the same sound/noise you have heard before Skipton/anyonelse??

After hearing the noise correctly now, I've come to the conclusion that it sounds like a creek more then a grinding sound.

I think Skipton's diagnosis was right. Personally I don't mind the 'creaking' sound of the aircon flaps adjusting their settings to optimise airflow through the various flaps. When you don't hear anything it usually means they have seized up and the dashboard needs to come out to fix them.

Cheers Spike

Yep, a little like the creaking of ships timbers, but not as loud or as bassy. I stick with the above explanation and agree with Spike - the vents are still working, so leave alone for the time being.

Cheers,

Mike

Ive now noticed that there is a grinding noise that is coming from the engine bay when I accelerate. It is exceptionally loud at about 3/4 throttle... sounds almost like an exhaust leak maybe, but it concerns me a lot Anyone else have ideas on what it might be? Ill be taking it in to Mazda next week.

Anyone else have ideas on what it might be? Ill be taking it in to Mazda next week.
Hi Charlotte, welcome to the Audi A2 owners club.
I think the noise may be a figment of your imagination, same as someone living in the States and owning a 1999 A2.
We have had a few people from your beautiful country joining our club recently and posting irrelevant questions. Please don't waste our time

Cheers Spike

Back