Halfords 5W/40 Fully Synthetic Oil 5L

Hello again,

Wishing to pick someone's brain over the highly enthralling topic of which oil to use.

It's a 51 plate Tdi.

I was recommended castrol 5w/30 if I remember correctly. On the Halfords website, it says that Halfords 5W/40 Fully Synthetic Oil 5L is suitable for my car if it's on fixed servicing. It's slightly cheaper than the Castrol equivalent and at least has 500ml more than I need for the job, whereas the castrol has 500ml less than I need.

Website states that it's as good as the leading brand. Apparently it meets:
VW 505.01
VW 505.00
VW 500.00

£35.99 for 5 litres inc. vat

Will this stuff be OK for my A2?

Thanks,

M

I have used Halfords oil in various cars over the years with no ill effect.

After all, Halfords don't make oil, they just buy it from someone else and re-brand it. I had it suggested to me at one point that halfords fully synth was in fact an older formulation of Mobil 1, not sure if this is true, or still current, but it seems possible.

I've only ever bought the main brand oils in the past - Simon at OpieOils is the man to ask advice for / buy from.

In 2001 the Audi oil spec for fixed servicing was VW 505.01 and the long life service spec was 506.01.
Things move on and Audi now recommend VW 507.00 for both fixed and variable servicing.
The Halfords oil may be perfectly ok but you will never know until its too late if it gives the same protection as the latest Castrol.
If you have a Costco up there, have a look in as they were selling 1Litre cans of Castrol Edge at a very good price

Cheers Spike

In 2001 the Audi oil spec for fixed servicing was VW 505.01 and the long life service spec was 506.01.
Things move on and Audi now recommend VW 507.00 for both fixed and variable servicing.
The Halfords oil may be perfectly ok but you will never know until its too late if it gives the same protection as the latest Castrol.
If you have a Costco up there, have a look in as they were selling 1Litre cans of Castrol Edge at a very good price

Cheers Spike

Thanks that's useful to know. Unless I find a cheaper alternative with that spec then I'll be going with:

Halfords 5W30 VW/Audi Fully Synthetic 5L Oil

As it meets the standard which you state and will help prevent my overdaft from bursting at the seams.

regards,

M

Hey Springfield,
I got a good tip for you.

Goto Highland motor parts and ask for Comma Pd oil,AFAIK its spec is for extended oil changes.
5 litres comes in around £25.:D

closest costco is 110 miles in Abz

Hey Springfield,
I got a good tip for you.

Goto Highland motor parts and ask for Comma Pd oil,AFAIK its spec is for extended oil changes.
5 litres comes in around £25.:D

closest costco is 110 miles in Abz

Thanks chubbybrown that certainly is a good price!

I've already purchased the Halfords stuff (at £41 :eek:) but I will bear your recommendation in mind for the next glorious service interval!

well I used to goto Hawcos and buy it as they would give you a free oil filter with it.
I think it was £45 with oil filter,I could be wrong on that as its been so long.
I have been known to buy the quantum oil for the corrado as she burns a bit.
too many oil filters laying around tho!
lol
Just wasnt worth the hassle for a paper filter.

You can Thank Kenny the independant vw man for the tip :cool:

Cheers Spike

I had a look before i did mine and the one in Leeds and Oldham didn't have any Castrol in that met the latest spec.

It was me who posted the original COSTCO link.
The one in Leeds has not had Castrol Edge 5w30 for several months.
Kicking myself for only buying two packs instead of loads more!

Costco do sell chevron 5w30 synthetic (semi-synthetic?) in huuuuge 20l drum for about £35, but I don't fancy using this for the A2. Might get some for the volvo though.

can you buy a dispenser/pump thing for those 20litre drums? wouldn't fancy lifting it to pour!

Is the chevron fully synthetic?

Also update on oil, I just bought some VW507 spec oil £36 for 5 litres from ASK in Kippax. Thought that was a good price!

Just got a quote from a tyre depot online for curiosity's sake:

£39.60 for up to 7 litres of Castrol Edge 5w40. And naturally they will change the oil and filter for you. However I don't know if they would use a genuine Audi filter. Perhaps they would if you supplied it.

Interestingly the genuine oil filter which I got from Audi the other day did not behold the zig-zag pattern of it's predecessor, just regular straight lines. I wonder if this is cost-cutting on their part.

Back