Hand brakes and radio codes.

Mel

Any suggestions on how I can track down the radio\cd code for my A2 - I can't locate it in any of the service docs that came from the dealer when I bought it in April, and having contacted them since they say they can't locate it.

Also, I live on a steep hill, and notice that whenever I park outside my home the car still travels backwards a little toooo much after applying the handbrake (compared with previous cars) , unless I leave it in gear.

As it's still under warranty I mentioned it to Leeds Audi, who recommended changing the rear disk brake pads in an attempt to correct it. They have been replaced, at a cost of £206, as brakes are not covered by the warranty.

But it still rolls backwards alarmingly. Any ideas?

The radio code can only be obtained from Audi and I'm surprised to hear the the dealer 'can't find it'!!

Go back to them and tell them to request it directly from Audi AG if necessary. When you get it, make a note and keep it safe.

Depending on the type of hill you park on, the A2 will roll a little - mine does in Mossley and so I always leave the car in gear with the wheels pointing to the kerb, to be sure.

A change of pads, without changing discs will not help. The old ones could have been glazed, but that is easily removed without changing the pads.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mel

I had to obtain the activation code for my radio the other day as it unexpectedly went into "SAFE" mode. It cost me £25 from Peter Gilder Audi here in hilly Sheffield.

Like Skipton, I always park my A2 in gear on the steep hill outside my house. However, I have done this with all the cars I have owned as none of them had hand brakes capable of dealing with the seven hills of Sheffield.

Try pushing down on the foot brake quite hard and then lift the hand brake up, this will put the brakes on hard enough to avoid the embarasment of finding you car down at the bottom of the hill after your discs have cooled and loosened their grip on the disc; ask my work colleague who didn't do this and found his 2 day old golf 5 in a greengrocers window!

I thought that cars with rear discs also had internal drums just for the handbrake - or is this old hat now.
I remember seeing a piece on Watchdog quite a few years ago now about Citroen Xantias (I think) which had the problem of rolling away once the brakes were cooled down. But they're just wierd cars anyway ;)....

Radio code

I was in the parts section of Stockport Audi (ex Smith Knight Faye) this afternoon and asked how to get the radio code for my A2. Reply: 2 ways, both free of charge. 1. Take out the radio and let them have the serial number. 2. Book the car in when they will plug it in and download the code direct from Audi. I will take the second option at a future service. Not too bothered as I have bought a Draper memory saver.

I thought that cars with rear discs also had internal drums just for the handbrake - or is this old hat now.
I remember seeing a piece on Watchdog quite a few years ago now about Citroen Xantias (I think) which had the problem of rolling away once the brakes were cooled down. But they're just wierd cars anyway ;)....

No - at least my TDi 90 doesn't have them - just discs that are rusting nicely!

I would have thought most Xantia owners would have been pleased to see the car rolling away from them!

Cheers,

Mike

I would have thought most Xantia owners would have been pleased to see the car rolling away from them!

Cheers,

Mike[/QUOTE]

ROFL

Following what Paul has said about Audi Stockport, I'm afraid what little faith I had with Peter Gilder Audi in Sheffield has now disappeared completely. I will be looking at other dealers next time I need something doing.

I was in the parts section of Stockport Audi (ex Smith Knight Faye) this afternoon and asked how to get the radio code for my A2. Reply: 2 ways, both free of charge. 1. Take out the radio and let them have the serial number. 2. Book the car in when they will plug it in and download the code direct from Audi. I will take the second option at a future service. Not too bothered as I have bought a Draper memory saver.

I have been told the same by SKF Stockport as well, sounds like the Peter Gilder's are 'guilding' the lilly a bit there, I understand it is Audi policy to provide this information FOC as long as the head unit is the original one, VAGCOM link to Germany will soon tell them if it isn't though!
Mike

What this boild down to is that some dealers are better than others, especially when it comes to after-sales back-up. Stockport Audi (and Manchester Audi) are now very good indeed, but on the fip side, there are some bad 'uns out there too.

If at first you don't succeed, try another dealer!

Cheers,

Mike

I have been told the same by SKF Stockport as well, sounds like the Peter Gilder's are 'guilding' the lilly a bit there, I understand it is Audi policy to provide this information FOC as long as the head unit is the original one, VAGCOM link to Germany will soon tell them if it isn't though!
Mike

Yes it states in the front of the manual to tear the card off and put it some where safe not in the car, it also says if you misplace it your dealer will help you free of charge

Back