Handbrake Return Springs Part Nos TDI90 and other rear disc A2s

Dads Taxi

I have been having problems with a sticking handbrake despite extensive cleaning, lubricating etc.

The obvious then hit me in the face - there are no handbrake return springs fitted!

Can anyone please confirm that these are the right replacements as they are listed for an A3, Sharan etc: 1K0615295 & 1K0615296

Are they a pig to refit?

Many thanks

Its also free. Seized pistons are unlikely as A the calipers were replaced 18 months or so ago and B the problem is on both sides simultaneously.

I recently changed both rear calipers on my FSI. Both came with return springs. I think the old ones still had them, and they're in my scap metal pile. Yours gratis if I do have them.

I can offer you a pair of free springs also. They are easy to fit. However the condition might not be great. Given a pair of new springs on a well known auction site are £3.79 inc postage following the search "audi a2 rear caliper springs" (no affiliation), I would suggest new would be stronger and a better bet. I can't confirm the part numbers in your original post.

I am having a problem with NS rear wheel being locked a few times now . I havent had time to investigate as yet and as im not driving it at moment its on my to do list... presume the handbrake is locking on especially after the car is washed , and if its not moved at least next day. Doesnt also seem to want to free itself. Is there an issue with A2s with disc rear brakes with regard handbrake sticking on or adjustment ? Didnt think about return spring , maybe I need to check this too.

I am having a problem with NS rear wheel being locked a few times now . I havent had time to investigate as yet and as im not driving it at moment its on my to do list... presume the handbrake is locking on especially after the car is washed , and if its not moved at least next day. Doesnt also seem to want to free itself. Is there an issue with A2s with disc rear brakes with regard handbrake sticking on or adjustment ? Didnt think about return spring , maybe I need to check this too.
I had this on the OSR caliper on mine.
The spring was there, but the mechanism inside was old and stiff.
I did a repeated wind in with a tool, and pump out with the pedal combined with a bleed on it. It improved it, but didn't fix it, hence 2 new calipers.

I've had handbrake sticking problems on several A2's and old cars. There are various possible reasons but the most common is corrosion of the brake piston causing it to stick. The brakes still work with hydraulic pressure but the stickiness is enough to prevent the handbrake releasing. I think the cause might be water in the brake fluid from insufficient fluid changes. I know I certainly don't replace the fluid every 2 years as you are meant to and I guess I reap the consequences.

I need to replace the rear calipers on one of my tdi90s. Looking on eBay there are some cheap calipers from brands I've never heard of. I prefer to go for newer but second hand original parts where possible. Recently got some 2019 front calipers for £20 each, off a Skoda. Does anyone know if any newer cars use the same rear calipers as A2? eBay seem to suggest seat Ibiza and VW polo up to 2009, any newer options?? Cheers

Ps are the unbranded , or brands I've not heard of any good? I'm guessing at £30 each new they are not the best, anyone tried them? Cheers

I have an ongoing disagreement with my father about this. He prefers to buy new pistons and seals and refurb calipers. I prefer to buy the cheap unbranded calipers as they are not much more expensive than the refurb kits and require less tinkering and therefore less things to go wrong.

I have fit the cheap unbranded calipers to the front and rear of many A2's, TT's, Skoda's, Volvos and have never had an "in service" problem. the only issues I have had during fitting is they are not machined particularly accurately but I've always managed to make them fit satisfactorily. On one occasion the rectangular banjo on the original brake pipe had to be filed down a little because the slot in the cheap caliper was a tiny bit too narrow which prevented the banjo from seating correctly, but even that was quite easily solvable with an angle grinder.

My general feeling/opinion is that if the cheap calipers were dangerous then we would know about it by now.

Back