Have my bearings gone?

Hi,
Sorry if this has been posted before, I have found lots of threads on replacing bearings but not on how to tell if they have gone.

I am getting a moaning noise from my front wheels as I drive, the faster I go the loader it gets but the noise goes if I turn left. If I freewheel there is no obvious resistance and my fuel economy is as good as ever. My A2 has done 92000 miles. As you can probably tell I am not a mechanic.

Any ideas?

Hi

does it get louder if you turn right? or does it just go if you turn left?

Bearing noise?

Hi Emm,

The noise has the same volume when driving straight or turning right, and gets quieter when turning left.

Perhaps I should add that I have only noticed it over the last couple of days.

Well the symptoms suit a Near Side Wheel bearing...

However this isn't a great diagnosis as I all sounds are different. I've heard some terrible sounds on cars before, and it turns out to be simple things like a small stone behind the brake disc guard on the front wheel. but yours does sound like a bearing.

Hi Photofiction

Ours manifested itself as a low rubble coming from the front somewhere. It was more pronounced on left lock and was quieter when on the straight or on right lock.

If possible get someone-else to go out with you and provoke the noise. Then swap seats and get them to do it. I did this and it was so much easier to hear from the passenger seat.
Credit where credit is due - I mentioned my concerns to the local Audi stealer and arranged to go out at a convienient time with one of the mechanics, who was very thorough, to diagnose the cause of the noise.

Cheers

Jonathan

Back