Head Gasket ;(

mixxy

Still not 100% sure but I think my head gasket is gone

Expantion tank looks like its started leaking and theres some boiling water marks around, Ive cleaned them away to see if its still happens.
Gauge isnt reading above 90 & vag com temp matches what im seeing, not sure if its a major leak currently as I still have max coolent level ?
Looks like theres also a small leak on the hose above the coolent temp sensor

Thinking way ahead if it was, it might be cheaper for me to get another AMF engine from somewhere, anyone know if the polo 2004/ 2005/ 2006 AMF would still be the same

Hello mixxy

I swapped the engine on my 200,000 mile plus A2 for an AMF engine from a Polo, not sure which year, but my ex Audi mechanic told me that so long as it was an AMF engine (the same as the existing) there would be no problems with the ECU.

The only physical difference was the intake manifold, but that was swapped from the old engine - which had a snapped crankshaft.

Fortunately, I asked to keep the head from the old engine, as I have just had to swap it, after blowing the head gasket on the replacement engine by driving it with the coolant light on after the bottom hose came adrift :(

get1962

I suspect getting the head remove, skimmed and refitted will be cheaper than replacing the whole engine.

head gasket

i had my gasket and clutch replaced as well as the timing belt and water pump, it cost me £1000 for the above work.

£500 for the head gasket inc labour,
£200 for the clutch inc labour
£300 for the timing belt, water pump and a wheel bearing (at another garage)

It was an engine out job and took a week, it also cost me another £90 as they had to replace the cylinder head cover as the gasket had changed and could not be sourced (2001 amf 75hp 1.4tdi)

so it is worth having the belt and pump done whilst the engine is out of the car.

hope the above helps

I had the work done at Brabbs Motor works, leigh , Lancashire.

Simon

Hi get1962

If the old head is scrap, could I have it. I've always fancied the idea of having a diesel head gasflowed so a spare head would be great to take round the tuning shops for their opinion. I'm hoping its just 3/4 of a Golf TDi head which has already been developed.
I'd happily pay the postage by the way

Cheers Spike

Spike: I'd be interested to know if you get around to that head work. Please post a thread if/when something happens. I'm having similar work done on my MX5, which is why I'm curious. Thanks.

think i was panicing
I have a few damp spots at the mo which I cant seem to track
Throttle elbow was loose and blowing oil onto the hose below which I think was running down another etc, at one point I thought it was the diesel pipe !

But I have do have a damp patch above where the coolent temp sensor sits
I am not loosing any coolent at all

Back