Headlight angles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawfster

One thing I've also noticed is that, despite the adjustability of the headlight beam angle, the headlights are set VERY low on my A2. Even with the beam set on the "0" setting (designed driver-occupancy only, no luggage [ie as high as it will go]), the illumination up the road is only very short. Frankly, on dipped heads, the visibility/illumination is somehere between sub-standard and outright dangerous.

Full beam is great, but the difference between dipped heads and full beam is much greater than on any car I've ever driven.

Anyone else had isses with this?

Crawfster
2003 issue A2 1.4 TDI SE, Amulet Red, Open Sky

I've been thinking how great my A2's lights were compared to my previous cars. High beam are fantastic, low beam are just fine and dandy.

Wonder if yours are misaligned somehow-yours is a new A2 isn't it (just picked up?).

Steve - 1.4SE petrol, 2002, Silver

I have to agree with Runboy and have also found the headlight visibility to be superior to my previous cars...

2001 TDI SE, Open Sky System, 16" six spoke alloys, Kenwood Mask CD.
A2 Owners Club: www.Audi-A2.co.uk

Crawfster,

I agree with Stuart and Steve's comment - the A2's full beam is superb. I think either your headlamp alignment needs checking, or you haven't been eating your carrots lately. :D

Kaine

Our A2 has the main vs dip totally out of alignment. With the dipped set properly the main hits the tree-tops - and with main OK, on dip you just light up the 30 feet in front of the car !

However they seem pretty bright when adjusted. Its always been this way - but we very rarely ever use main beam so its not been a problem.

Its being sorted out at the next service - along with the driveshaft clicks.

Had the same feeling at the start. Especially the difference in height the full beam makes. If I'm satisfied with the full beam then screened beam seems too low, if the screened beem seems OK then full beam seems too high.

I went to my dealer and we checked the beam height together and I could hardly belive it. Both beams exactly and I mean EXACTLY!, matched the highest settings set by the law. Dear God, I can't drive like that I said and they have adjusted the height a bit and it is much better. Now I even don't use the zero setting as it is set too high even for me, I don't like the idea of blinded drivers hitting me in front...

Regards

ZB

I have to confess I thought the lights on the A2 were the best that I have experienced from any car, and the full beam down a country lane was similar to driving along in the daylight. Perhaps I was somehow unlucky in the VW Polo which I used over a 9 week period, but I thought the thing was a positive danger. The weird reflections cast onto the road surface were disturbing in themselves.

Regards
John Disdale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back