Headlight Motor intermittently comes on

Choppy

Hey guys

I was driving through SE London in the lovely rain, and I started to hear a vibration sound, similar to a silenced mobile phone going off. Was completely taken aback from it, after playing with a couple of switches I found out it was when I switched the headlights to dipped beam the sound came on. Playing with the headlight level switch sometimes stopped it, but as soon as I went over a bump (lots of bad speed bumps in SE London) it would go off again. Putting on the sidelights was fine and did not affect it.

Had a look yesterday outside and a hard nudge to the exterior light housing would stop or set it off. Would any of you kind chaps point me in the right direction to what I need to look for? Wires, Screw the housing tighter, new motor etc? Thanks

Is this happening on just one side or both?

If just one side, then the easiest way to see if it's wiring or the motor itself is to swap the motors around, from one headlamp to the other (they're interchangeable).

If the fault swaps with the motor, then you've found the culprit!

Cheers,

Mike

PS new motors are around £35 each from Audi, although I have a couple I can let you have cheaper if need be.

Back