Headlights deflectors for continent

I will be driving my A2 in France for two months. I would be grateful for advice about what to do with headlights given that I have recently restored the polycarbonate and sprayed with tough coat (as per advice here). Which stick-on product or other arrangement is best? atb

Unless you want to invest in a set of LHD headlights (still available new), the most popular solution is stick-on Euro "beam benders". There will be plenty on Amazon or eBay. I have to use these in the UK on my campervan which has LHD headlights (RHD are no longer available). To me it looks like LHD and RHD versions of the product are identical. They don't so much bend the dipped beam as block half of it and de-focus the rest. You will need to apply them to the specific spot where the projected cut-offs come through the lens - there will be a diagram in the package to help you.

Been going to France for 40 years?Never ever fitted beam deflectors to either my car or motorhome!!I dip them as much as possible but don’t drive a lot at night!See how many continental vehicles get off the ferries at Dover with beam deflectors!I am sure there will lots who disagree with me!,

I know just had a Belgian truck behind me and had to stop as was completely blinded by his 4 headlights and 8 yellow lights. So fully appreciate that not all coming to this country abide by the rules. But going to France UK drivers are an obvious and easy target, so for the sake of a few quid why risk it....

I think headlamp masking for continental driving is covered in the owners handbook.

Cheers Spike

Been going to France for 40 years?Never ever fitted beam deflectors to either my car or motorhome!!I dip them as much as possible but don’t drive a lot at night!See how many continental vehicles get off the ferries at Dover with beam deflectors!I am sure there will lots who disagree with me!,
Been on European mainland for over 30 years now & never used to bother with beam maskers, just used to set headlamp leveling wheel to max down position, but since having a newer car with Xenon & hence auto self leveling lights, I'm now using them when in the UK to avoid blinding people at night (& potentially crashing into me !!!) ...... guide positioning is in the instructions & once I get them right, I mark the center of them onto the plastic lens cover with a black dot from a permanent marker pen, then it's easy to position them the next time.

My wifes 2016 A3 has the intelligent xenon light packages, which switches to UK driving , based on it's postion via the sat nav - all very clever, but in reality, the light output in this mode is very poor, compared to my stick ons ; another case of things being too clever for their own good ??
Also, the A3s auto dipping headlight mode reacts soooo slowly that it is actually quite dangerous to use on anything other than a dead straight road, as it not only blinds the car coming at you, but then also leaves you seeing nothing much for about 5 seconds before giving you back some light !!!!
At least this 'intelligent' light pack was a snip, at only €1500 as an otion :eek: Vorsprung durch profit !!

MartinH

I think headlamp masking for continental driving is covered in the owners handbook.

Cheers Spike

Found it.
covers both RH and LHD cars

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• DSCF1107.JPG
    DSCF1107.JPG
    444.9 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCF1105.JPG
    DSCF1105.JPG
    438.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF1106.JPG