Heated door mirrors retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bigpikle

I saw a reference on a post/signature/picture to 'half a winter pack' and that all A2's were wired for heated door mirrors - just need new mirrors at £60. I was wondering if this was the case and if so what exactly needs replacing? My guess is that for £60 all you get is the heated element glass for the mirrors but please can somebody set me straight. I'm looking at it for a 2003 SE as it's proven a very useful piece of equipment for cold mornings/wet weather driving. Presumably it's activated from the heated rear window - although my current Honda Accord has permanently heated mirrors that actually get very hot to the touch!

Thanks for your help.

BP

Your car will be pre-wired for heated mirrors. You can get replacement (heated) mirrors from Martyn at VAGparts for a bit less that £60 the pair.
Pop the old mirrors off, plug in the new mirrors and pop them back on the bracket. Job done.
They work off the heated rear window and the outside temperature - I think.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Johann Reliably informs me that they work off the heated rear window or independantley when the temperature falls to 5C or lower.

Good investment indeed. Did the same to mine (2003 SE, Tdi).
Got the mirrors directly off my dealer, 83 euro in total.

Hurt my fingers while 'ripping' out the old mirrors, but did it without tools in under 10 minutes.
Also see the pictures toward the bottom of the page here (in German):
http://www.a2forum.com/thread.php?threadid=259&sid=1051a09a4fb4741ef7342b289774a9e7

Haven't verified yet if they turn on (and/or stay on) automatically below 5 degrees. But they certainly work from the rear defroster button.

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

I'm dubious about the auto turn on below 5 degrees-if you live somewhere cold for 6 months of the year they would be on all the time you use the vehicle.

But thinking about it, with them being outside the mirrors may freeze up more than the rear window mists up, so to turn on the rear window for just the mirrors may be more fuel sapping than having the mirrors on at a constant warm temp.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I currenlty have a Honda Accord Type V with all the toys on it. It has heated mirrors that are on ALL the time! I only found out when I accidently brushed against the glass one time in the warm weather and it was hot - not burning hot or anything but more than just warmed! I rang the dealer slightly worried but he told me it was normal and nothing to worry about. I guess it hits my economy but with 2.3l and cc etc it probably makes little difference - hence the move to a A2 tdi. Just waiting until the end of the month to wring a few extra £'s from the dealer and get a better deal.....

I also saw a few other useful looking extras on the VAGparts site like a tray for infront of the handbrake and the rear cupholder tray. Does anyone know if the handbrake tray can still be used with the armrest? Didn't look like they obstructed each other in the fitting guide I saw on the site.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I recently prised my own door mirrors off and found both mirrors to be wired for heat, so to speak. This surprised me somewhat, as only one of them (driver's side RHD 2001 (X) A2 Petrol SE) had what I took to be an element visible in the mirror. So I took the mirrors off hoping for some neatly bundled wires to be clipped onto new heated mirrors. But no! Instead I got to see that both mirrors were already of the heated variety. I pushed one of the (2) sockets back onto the contact on the mirror body. The passenger side mirror had a goldish heating element (I think) visible on the back of the mirror, but as I said, nothing visible on the mirror side itself.

In summary, I did the following:

1. Used the power mirror toggle to get both mirrors pointing as far in to the vehicle as was possibe, so creating a finger size gap (if you aren't from Norfolk![7]).
;)
2. Prised off mirrors by sliding my hand behind and waiting for them to 'pop' off the mounts, which contain the motors.
3. Checked that all four connecters (2 per side) were present (they were!) and made sure that they were all firmly seated in the sockets.
4. Pressed mirrors back onto mounting. This bit is a little tricky as you might think they're on, but push a little more in all corners to make sure.
4. Test the mirrors for movement/adjustability.
5. Not Complete: Wait for the temp to fall below 5c and see if I can tell any discernable difference.

I thought I should post the above to show I'd used the forum to track down info. With my responsible hat on, I'd still say the more long-winded method of removing the bottom part of the front cowling would be a more methodical way of checking whether your car is wired or not for heated mirrors.
That they've got 'em installed is yet another example of a thoughful, grownup feature for a wonderful little car.

Final Footnote: Weird thing is, I'm sure we had some frosts last winter and I don't remember the wing mirrors being clear of frost at any time prior to engine start up. But then I was religiously using de-icer before commencing any journey like a good little citizen. I'll be leaving the mirrors icy this year. Before the warranty runs out, ye understand! ;)

Kind regards to all.

James

2001 X Ebony Black 1.4 Petrol SE. Avec Grey Leather, Climate, Leccy Windows, First Aid kit + triangle, BOSE kick ass stezza upgrade and NO bl**dy spare wheel!

I actually got the dealer to fit replacement mirrors before I picked up the car (and asked for the old ones for good measure!) as they were only a few £'s more than VAGparts but in the one wet journey so far they didn't seem to dry any water drops and certainly didn't get warm to the touch. My previous car (see above posts) had very noticeable heated mirrors and cleared frost etc in seconds so I'm not 100% convinced they are working/fitted correctly etc. Next frosty morning will tell for sure.

2003 A2 1.4 Tdi SE, Silver, CD, Climate

"Your past is not your potential" Unknown

Bigpikle, your story about the heated mirrors that are hot to the touch was a new one for me. Never before did I encounter a car that performed such an amount of heating.
And the A2 is no different from what I'm used to: heating is delicate and slow-ish. Enough to remove some light mist or frost within a few minutes from starting. And enough to keep them free from spray in rainy times.
But if rain is falling directlty onto the mirror (while standing still or during really heavy rain) then this delicate heating is of course not sufficient. The mirrors will then only dry up once on the highway.

Maybe we could 'overclock' the mirrors to make them behave like in your Accord. ;)
Just my 2 cents. And I'll keep an eye out for cars with steaming mirrors.....

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Jaffa (james)

Norfolk....NORFOLK????[3]

What's wrong with big fingers?

Watch it or send turnips to you in the post, or you will be visited by Norfolk Turkey in the dark hours;)

Steve "Norwich"

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

LOL!

Steve,

I think I must've read another thread where Norfolk was mentioned in a jokingly disparaging manner. I couldn't resist when I thought that the gap created was perhaps too small for a sturdy yeoman type with hands like small tractor shovels. ;)

So, in answer, nothing's wrong with big hands and nothing's wrong with Norfolk, AFAIK. My dad's family used to holiday in Norfolk and dad loved it as he got to drive tractors - OOOOOH AAAAR!!!!

Talking of OOOH AAAR, I saw the Wurzels for the second time in a couple of years, this summer at Eastnor Park near Malvern and they were ruddy marvellous. Anyone who believes city and country folk are that different should be forced to listen to the Wurzels songs of wisdom! :)

BigPikle - sounds like much the easiest solution - as Edo says, the heating of the mirrors seems much more gentle than something you can feel to the touch. I checked, too.

Kind regards,

James

2001 X Ebony Black 1.4 Petrol SE. Avec Grey Leather, Climate, Leccy Windows, First Aid kit + triangle, BOSE kick ass stezza upgrade and NO bl**dy spare wheel!

James

I think that was me talking about Norfolk drivers-basically do what they want when they want. So layed back they are horizontal-think I will join them!!!.

I'm not a local yet-takes 25 years to be accepted around here-and being a Londoner doesn't help. Only 12 years to go before they will speak to me.....

Clarkson was taking the **** out of Norfolk on TG the other night - are you sure it wasn't him that started all this stuff.

Ooooopppppssss - did I just admit to watching that programme!!!

[:I]

2003 A2 1.4 Tdi SE, Silver, CD, Climate

"Your past is not your potential" Unknown

Oh yes, Clarkson started on Norfolk ages ago-3/4 years or more.

Trisha had a dig at Norfolk women all being thick recently too.

Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. But it's the same everywhere!!!

Steve/Bigpikle,

It could have been either source (I watch that prog, too...but probably it was Steve. After 12 years, I am surprised you've not been assimilated by the carrot crunchers! (Sorry to country folk, I am being tongue in cheek, here, honest).

Anyway, wing mirrors that are heated - great! ;o)

Oi, watch it guv, if your not careful I'll take you by the lucky charm, put you in your Yarmouth bloater and turn the climate up until your uncle billy.

Assimilated to a carrot. I was born wifin the sund of thee bow bells I'll ave you know-if the jenny lind was blowing in the right direction.

[13]

Blimey o'reilly. Took me about an hour to decipher that lot.

Clearly, Sarf West London int a good place to be dragged up!

Warning duely noted. No disparaging remarks about kosher ****ernees or country folk. Even in jest. I don't want to be catching my death of cold off the climate![8D]

We got our mirrors from VAGparts the other day and I fitted them in about 5 minutes.
This morning was the perfect opportunity to see if they work, and thankfully they did - after 30 secs both mirrors were steaming nicely.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Checked my A2 mirrors to see if they are wired up for retro fitting heated mirrors. They are- Yes! The Audi dealer gave a quote of £30+VAT per mirror and £65 + VAT to fit! They say they need to reprogramme the air conditioning, which they say controls the power to the heater wires. This contradicts what is said in the above forum. What do you think anyone. I'll probably go for the mirrors anyway and if they work without programming the A/C then that's a bonus. Comments?

David B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back