Heated mirrors

Mirrors seem to have stopped heating - does anyone know if they are on a seperate fuse, because the back window demist is still working?

I haven't had a chance to check on the car yet - probably this weekend before I can get onto it.

Thanks

Hi monkeyfinger

Were your heated mirrors factory fit as part of the winter pack. The manual indicates these are thermostatically controlled so i'm not sure if they would automatically come on with the rear screen - unlike the retrofitted ones which only work when the rear screen is switched on.
I checked out the fuses in the manual. As you probably know, there is no specific fuse listed for the mirrors. Best guess would be the 'door' fuses S39 and S41

Cheers Spike

Yep, I second that - if your mirror adjustement and window lifters are working fine, then the only other feeds to the door control unit are fuses 39 and 41 (passenger and drivers doors respectively.

If you are under warranty, get it checked out asap, otherwise have the car VAG-COMed to see that the door controller is functioning correctly.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Guys - If the fuses check out ok, I will get my laptop out at the weekend and see if anything shows on that. My wife says she never remembers them working, but I know that they have in the past, so at least I'm sure they are fitted!

Just out of interest, is the heated surface detectable with the back of the hand so that I can check?

Car is well out of warranty now (if only it weren't, I could get my opensky fixed for free as well ...):D

Yes you can feel it to the touch, I hadn't checked I'd got them until yesterday and they get reasonably warm.

There is an NTC-resistor in the mirror so it only heates (lot) if it is cold! At summer it should realy heat only a little.

I can confirm from reading the manual, that the mirrors make up their own mind as to when it is cold enough to start heating, therefore it's a little tricky to check their operation. This means that they cannot be switched on for a cool morning with dew/moisture on the lens - I guess Audi wanted to be different, because on all my other cars they came on with the heated rear window.

Back