Hello

CaptVimes

A2OC Donor
Hi, just signed up having found your great website. Always admired the concept of the A2, use of aluminium and that fascinating 3 cylinder diesel. I missed out on the 1.4tdi by buying my Wifes's Lupo 3 months too early, as it turned out so we were stuck with the 1.7Sdi not bad but would have been nicer to have the lighter engine.

So the plan is to get one after I've learnt as much as I can from this generous resource. My biggest concern is the need for a fault code reader which I'm hoping is available so I'm not reliant on dealerships for faultfinding....I prefer to do all the work myself where possible.

I've driven one currently for sale and not too far away....quite surprised at a slight raucous engine note (1.4tdi) but the suspension seemed fine. Probably won't go for this one though as there seemed to be an hint of head gasket mayonaise evidence in the filler cap. I've yet to find out from my research if this is a common problem. Anyway, I'll keep looking for as much experience as I can before I choose.

Thanks for a great website....I know these things don't happen on their own

Welcome to the club. We are former Lupo 1.7 SDi owners too. Fond memories of a very nice but gutless wee car. (64bhp if memory serves)

The 3 pot burble noise of the A2 TDi is an acquired taste. Personally speaking; it is one of the car's most endearing features.

Good luck with your search

Welcome :)

There's a wealth of info here but sometimes you get lost in it when looking for something specifically, so don't be afraid to ask. If nothing else, someone will remember a relevant thread and post a link :)

Thank you for your words of welcome. Lupo 1.7sdi gutless but a sweet little car that took us over 200,000 miles all over Europe until the rear crumple zone was fully tested as we were rear ended by a transit.

The 3 cylinder sound was different to what I'm used to and I'll get confidence as I test a few and find the sound the same.

I've heard of the 2 stroke oil additive idea but not tried it myself yet. I plan to test the idea in my 200 Tdi engined Series Land Rover...think I heard a ratio of 200:1 and only use mineral versions....NOT synthetic.

Thanks

Hi Capt. Vimes. Welcome!

It's good to hear that you're sold on the A2. It's also good that you're taking the time to do your research.
Amongst those on the forum, a few cylinder head gaskets have had to be changed on the 1.4 TDI, including mine. However, I definitely wouldn't say that it's a common problem. Obviously, you'll be at greater risk of the gasket failing on a higher mileage / older car, but I suspect luck (or lack thereof!) also features in the equation.

The 3-pot diesel has a definite burble to it, especially when idling, when it's also a bit shaky. I doubt anyone would describe it as silky, but it shouldn't sound harsh or rough when under load. If you're set on getting a really clean A2, I'm sure everyone here would advise you to drive a few before seriously thinking about buying.

I'm also a committed member of the 2-stroke oil brigade. For the PD unit injectors, the advised oil conforms to the combined specification of API TC + ISO L-EGC + JASO FC.
As far as I'm aware, it's only Motorex who sell this spec' oil in the UK. You'll find it on eBay. :) ...www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280749735139

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Success....we found our new A2 this week and handed over the hard won cash

Been having fun exploring our new purchase, found the secret compartments under the front floors, nice. Taken the rear seats and sundries out and weighed them (I know it's sad but it was around 47.6kg) found a bizarre 4kg piece of steel in a block of polystyrene!!!! Jacked up the car to remove the front undertray to change the oil and take advantage of the halfords oil deal at the moment. Love the detailing such as the jacking points and the pivoting caps. I used the ones underneath and found a 30mm 1/2inch drive socket was a nice plug to trolley jack off...if you follow me. 4000 miles to the next service but decided to see what came out...seemed ok. Placed the rear seat belt clips in their correct position nice detailing that.

Anyway, ran her until the fuel light came on and then treated her to a full tank of Shells' best, zeroed the odometer and we'll see how she does over a week normal driving.

My plans are to prepare a set of 15" A3 pepperpots for winter driving shod with winter tyres....haven't decided yet what make but they were great on my Lupo when we drove to Switzerland. From memory the pepperpots are quite light. Currently researching tyres and quite like the Michelin EV tyre but am not in a rush...we'll wait until this lot wears out.

Anyway, thanks to all for a great Club

Welcome to the forum and glad you found a good car. The detailing and general build quality on these cars is amazing, that's why I bought a second one! The only bits that dont last are the ones from the general VAG parts bin. The chassis and A2 specific bits are brilliant build quality.
For winter tyres search out a set of 16" SE Audi wheels and get them refurbished and fitted with 195 50 R 16 tyres.
I have a set of these ready for the winter (though one axel is fitted with 195 45 r15, but next time I would go with 195 50!).

PS loving the Terry Pratchet inspired username. The A2 is definately not CMOT Dibbler quality.

Hi CHB,

Madness I know but am already thinking about a 2nd when the time is right. Just been watching a you tube thread and a fellow in Italy who's EV'd a 1.4 petrol...great idea.

Thanks for the advice about the tyres

Cheers

I have these waiting for their first outing in a couple of months:

c3f551f4478e39a121c779aeac2ff146.jpg

7469fcda7f972bdd5b3e1a9008ea224d.jpg

My "new" A2 has 195 50 r16 summer tyres on, and to be honest they are a better fit than I expected.
I now have at home a total of 12 of these 16"SE rims. Four fitted with 185 50 16 summer tyres, four fitted with 195 50 16 summer tyres and then the winter rims above which are two at 185 50 16 (you cant buy them in that size any more!) and two at 195 45 16. When I come to swap the wheels over I will put all three side by side so you can see the size difference.

Hi CHB,

Madness I know but am already thinking about a 2nd when the time is right. Just been watching a you tube thread and a fellow in Italy who's EV'd a 1.4 petrol...great idea.

Thanks for the advice about the tyres

Cheers

I watched all 10 of his vids, before I bought my 1.4TDi. Didn't he do well?!

Wow...that's a lot of wheels....they look really nice in that charcoal colour. Good to have several sets, I do the same thing with my Land Rovers...I just keep a look out on the well known auction sites

I watched all ten episodes too, he did really well and I'd love to have a really good close look at the detail finishing and battery pack in it's finished position underneath

Congratulations, welcome, and I am sure you will have many years of happy ownership :)

... found a bizarre 4kg piece of steel in a block of polystyrene!!!! ...

This is for balancing the car, originally it was slightly too light at the rear. If I recall correctly, the later years bulked up the rear bumper structural members instead.

I have just bought a couple of Michelin Energy Saver +s. The problem with the Michelin EV tyre is that the load factor is very high (they are designed for cars with very heavy batteries, not a car made of aluminium!). So the tyres will be heavy, and the sidewalls will be pretty solid.

Last edited:
Thanks For them Michelin information...good point about the load index and the consequent weight hadn't considered that.....I'll have a look at the EnergySaver+

Cheers

You mentioned secret compartments in the footwells. I never knew there were any !!!! Then again took me 3yrs to find out that I had a 3rd sunvisor above my rear view mirror . Is there anything else I should know lol

Back