Help! 2003 A2 1.2 TDI car goes numb

Gabi

Hi, guys!
I would really appreciate if anyone could share some thoughts on this :eek:
Firstly, I don't know if I'll be able to describe what's wrong correctly, as English is not my first language and I'm not good with those specific words and terms related to cars...
So the problem is that sometimes while driving the display showing the number of the gear disappears as well as accelerator/gass pedal (is it called that way in English?) stops working - engine keeps working evenly, like the car just keeps going on free ride (like you were on neutral gear) until you stop. And if you try to change the gear manually or turn to reverse - nothing happens. You have to turn the engine off, and the on again.
We took it to the service, but they were unable to find anything (but they weren't sure where to look either), while checking the computer, they found the error with the pressure (annnd, they deleted it without taking proper note and as the mechanic does not speak English and we were not there at that moment, we only know that it was something with the pressure..... :().
Maybe you guys have some ideas where to look for problems and the possible solutions?

Thank you so so much!

P.S. is this the same "loss of power" problem lot's of people are talking on here?

Hi,

I think RAB would be the person who would know.

This thread may also help:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-13031.html

Was the error:
00841 - Transmission Hydraulic Pressure Sensor (G270)

If so as advised in the linked thread you should check the electrical connector on the hydraulic unit.

If you could ask your guy to write down the text of the error if he sees it again and then tell us here it would make a diagnosis much easier.

If you turn the key one step (so that the lights come on but the engine has not starts) and then put the gear lever into the manual position and try changing gears. When doing this how many gears can you change before you hear the hydraulic pump come back on?

The problem is not the "loss of power problem" it is a more specific problem for the 1.2tdi gearbox control system.

Good luck and please provide any more details!

John

Ooops...
It copied my reply twice.

I would also suggest that you get the garage to check the fluid level in the hydraulic system as this could be a problem. But if it were too low I would not expect it to engage the gear in the first place.

John

Last edited:
Hi Gabi,

things to do on a 1.2 tdi:

- Check how much hydraulic oil there is - Change the pressure container (50 euro)
- check the play in the gearchanger (tighten a screw)
- check the clutch adjustment
- run the "Getriebegrundeinstellung" (gearbox basic setting)

If you are using a garage who has no idea, it may well get expensive quickly. You might also want to post (in English) on the German forum, there's some very good competence on the 1.2 there these days.

I'd also not worry too much about posting an untranslated version of your question :)

- Bret

Thank you guys so muсh!

Before this problem started (few weeks ago), there were a problem with gearbox itself, that is, it used to get stuck on a particular gear and would not change gears. In garage, they checked the oil levels in hydraulic pump and refilled it fully... and after few days it started (though it had happened few times before back in november, but then it was gone till now).
So today we were going for about 30km without any problem, and then the next 40km it happened four times O.O
And... neither the guy we go to, nor the official AUDI distributor and it's garage for our country has no idea... :( But I will definitely ask him to write it down next time

I'll try to write in German forum.

P.S. Clutch adjustment - do you have in mind this -> http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/5-Speed_Electronic_Manual_Transmission_(085) ?

When was the last gearbox basic setting done? With the ignition on but the engine off, how many gear changes in tiptronic mode can you manage before the hydraulic pump restarts? Check the hydraulic fluid level as well, by unplugging the hydraulic control unit electrically, loosen the accumulator half a turn and see where the level is in the reservoir - it should be within the rectangle. Top up with VW steering fluid. I suspect that you have low fluid level or an accumulator that needs replacing. If the former, find and cure the leak(s).

RAB

Also consider buying VCDS (VAG-COM) as with a 1.2, it will soon pay for itself!

RAB

bretti_kivi, I think I might replied accidentally to you in private...

By the gearbox basic setting, what exactly do you mean? http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/5-Speed_Electronic_Manual_Transmission_(085) these things? (sorry, for being such a silly girl with these...) :)

This problem started practically few weeks ago, at first it was every now and then, but now (for example today, it was ok, for first 30km, then in about 40km it happend four/five times...). Just before this happened, there was a problem with the gearbox itself, it would get stuck to a particular gear and would not change... The garage checked the liquid levels, it was low, so they refilled, and then few days after that this started (don't know if this is relevant, though). And it has happened also two times when it was really cold here.

Worst thing is, that neither our guy, nor the official AUDI guys haven any ideas (I will show them yours, and hope they could find something). And I am a bit disappointed now, that they don't even take any noticed on the error they got...

By accumulator do you mean battery?

And thank you so much! I will check at what gear it comes back later on :) Also will try to write to a German forum.

no, not the battery.

Simplified, I figure the system works like this: there's a pump which is started when you unlock the car. It builds up pressure in a tank - the one RAB writes about, at the back of the engine bay, the hydraulic accumulator - and that is used to move the actuator which selects gears.
Thing is, it's a mechanised gearbox, so there's still a clutch and lots of moving parts.

Without oil, the actuator can't move. Without a Grundeinstellung, the actuator doesn't necessarily know where it really is. If the clutch is worn, then the actuator might move so it's in the "right" place but then it's not, so the clutch won't disengage or engage. Makes sense?

It's important to know when the last Grundeinstellung was. Yes, it's this:
By the gearbox basic setting, what exactly do you mean? http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...sion_%28085%29 these things?

- Bret

Oh, and I guess, those adjustments might have never been done... (though the car has run 90000km now, we bought it only last October, till then it belonged to my aunt, and she hasn't done any of those...). Though they always did their services at official Audi salon, so I'm not really sure...

Last edited:
Somehow I was not able to post my previous post....
Basically, here's what I have written:
1. We had this problem few months before two times, when it was minus 20-25 below zero, the battery hasn't working after the night, we charged it, and in next few days it happened twice. And then it was gone.
2. Few weeks ago, there was a problem with a gearbox, it would get stuck on one gear and would not change. The garage checked the liquid levels, it was low, so they refilled it. Few days after, this problem started to appear.

I'm sorry in advance if my previous messages would suddenly somehow appear o.o

Do you mean battery by accumulator? If so, it still is the same old original one...

P.S. so the first time I was able to change to third gear, and then next time - only to second, though I could do that easily, without any glitches or restrictions.

Last edited:
Thank you, in Lithuanian battery sounds very similar to accumulator (akumuliatorius), so as I was not familiar with English term, it was a bit confusing!

Gabi,

There is at one least one other 1.2tdi owner in Lithuania, who might be able to help you or direct you to a garage that can:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...Start-Stop-function-possible&highlight=1.2tdi

Because of the model's relative rarity, it can be a problem finding a garage that can fix them, even in Germany! Lupo 3L's and Lupo FSI's have the same gearbox/clutch system.

I can help with a few basic tests that you can do yourself but you will need a 24mm spanner, a 10mm socket, a small screwdriver and possibly some VW steering fluid.

RAB

Ceonke and Linelis are also Lithuanian owners of 1.2tdi's.

RAB

Thank you, it would be superb, if you could help with those test you mentioned!
And I'll try to contact those guys, maybe they have already find a garage that knows these stuff!

First of all, switch the ignition on but dont start the engine. Put the gearstick in tiptronic mode (to the left) and after the hydraulic pump has stopped (you can hear it), see how many gear changes you can make before the pump restarts. Record the number.

Next check the hydraulic oil level. Unplug the electrical supply to the hydraulic control module using this procedure:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21257-Audi-Connectors-How-to-Release

The module consists of the pump, reservoir (white translucent 'box with a green cap) and accumulator (black, spherical container). You'll have to move the coolant tank by removing the 6mm nut underneath it to gain access to the accumulator. Don't disconnect the coolant tank. With the 24mm spanner unscrew the accumulator half a turn. This will depressurise the system and allows you to check the fluid level. The level should be within the rectangle inscribed on the reservoir. You may need to shine a torch through the reservoir to see the level. If the level is below the rectangle, top up with VW/Audi steering fluid/oil via the green cap. This link may help:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?24333-Hydraulic-accumulator-A2-1-2tdi

Now tighten up the accumulator and reconnect the electrical connection.

If the level was low, try to find the source of the leak. Hopefully it will be at the ends of the three hydraulic lines which should be easily cured with new O rings. Also renew the clip at the actuator connections. The worst case is that the gearbox actuator is leaking.

If the level is not low, then a new accumulator is possibly required. What is needed is a gearbox clutch basic setting, if you don't know when this was last done. This should be done at least every 30,000km regardless, by a garage or you can do it yourself with software called VCDS.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, switch the ignition on but dont start the engine. Put the gearstick in tiptronic mode (to the left) and after the hydraulic pump has stopped (you can hear it), see how many gear changes you can make before the pump restarts. Record the number.

Next check the hydraulic oil level. Unplug the electrical supply to the hydraulic control module using this procedure:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21257-Audi-Connectors-How-to-Release

The module consists of the pump, reservoir (white translucent 'box with a green cap) and accumulator (black, spherical container). You'll have to move the coolant tank by removing the 6mm nut underneath it to gain access to the accumulator. Don't disconnect the coolant tank. With the 24mm spanner unscrew the accumulator half a turn. This will depressurise the system and allows you to check the fluid level. The level should be within the rectangle inscribed on the reservoir. You may need to shine a torch through the reservoir to see the level. If the level is below the rectangle, top up with VW/Audi steering fluid/oil via the green cap. This link may help:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?24333-Hydraulic-accumulator-A2-1-2tdi

Now tighten up the accumulator and reconnect the electrical connection.

If the level was low, try to find the source of the leak. Hopefully it will be at the ends of the three hydraulic lines which should be easily cured with new O rings. Also renew the clip at the actuator connections. The worst case is that the gearbox actuator is leaking.

If the level is not low, then a new accumulator is possibly required. What is needed is a gearbox clutch basic setting, if you don't know when this was last done. This should be done at least every 30,000km regardless, by a garage or you can do it yourself with software called VCDS.

RAB

Thank you very much for your advice!
I have tried counting gear changes in tiptronic as you suggested. The pump starts working straight away when I change to second gear, well maybe third.
As for hydraulic fluid level, as I wrote before, the guys in garage have filled it up. There is some very minor leaking, but I haven't managed to find the source of it yet.

Gabi,

If it's never been changed, I would try a new accumulator. About €50.

RAB

Back