help again !

since my last post i have had more problems ;(
little hard to explain but after my steering wheel icon came on, it went off and then a few days later the engine light came on in orange ??????
now they have both gone off but i have been left with a funny noise coming from the passenger side of the engine ? its seems to make my water bubble a little, also when i am not moving with my engine on the lights/power seem dim and then go bright again and so on......
ive looked in my manual and it says the engine icon could be an electronic management system problem ?
ARGHHHHHH! can anyone help ?

since my last post i have had more problems ;(
little hard to explain but after my steering wheel icon came on, it went off and then a few days later the engine light came on in orange ??????
now they have both gone off but i have been left with a funny noise coming from the passenger side of the engine ? its seems to make my water bubble a little, also when i am not moving with my engine on the lights/power seem dim and then go bright again and so on......
ive looked in my manual and it says the engine icon could be an electronic management system problem ?
ARGHHHHHH! can anyone help ?

Hi Rachel, Is the sound like a 'wizz wizz' wizzing motor type of sound? has your power steering become very heavy at random?

If this is the case, I have this issue and haven't had a chance to fix it as yet.
Could be a power steering sensor.

Where are you situated?

Regards
SARGE

im in sheffield !
yeh the power steering only works sometimes, its funny because ill be trying to park and if its not working ill hit the curb ????
ive taken it to a garage and they said they cant really do anything unless a service icon light is on ?
my steering and engine icon have both been on but have gone off now ?
is the sound coming from the passenger side of your car ?, near where you top the water up ?

Power Steering

im in sheffield !
yeh the power steering only works sometimes, its funny because ill be trying to park and if its not working ill hit the curb ????
ive taken it to a garage and they said they cant really do anything unless a service icon light is on ?
my steering and engine icon have both been on but have gone off now ?
is the sound coming from the passenger side of your car ?, near where you top the water up ?

The garage are wrong as the car's computer will show a logged DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) they need to connect a computer with relevant software (like Vag Com) to read the codes.
I BET the code that shows up will be : 00816 - Power Steering Sensor (G250)

Firstly Check:
the 80A fuse in the passenger footwell floor, it is quite a big fuse so you should be able to see it without a problem, see if the fuse is good if not, obviously replace it with exactly the same type.
IF the fuse is ok, Then remove the passenger side headlamp and under there is the power steering sensor, remove the connector and check it for corrosion on the contacts, it is quite difficult getting it off as the bumper stops your hand getting down there so it will be a bit tricky.

I have tried to access mine but cant get my hand down there to remove the connector to check it for corrosion. Will have another go soon.

Hope it helps
SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
The A2s power steering system is an absolute nightmare to diagnose.

I had trouble with random failures whilst in warranty and it took a dealer 6 weeks on and off to get to the botom of things (which at first they said was a fuse, then it turned out to be contact corrosion in the main connectors).

The fault has now returned and a scan of the system shows 2 faults: voltage too low and impausible signal.

Now the first of these suggests fuses or poor battery condition, whilst the second suggests a speed signal fault or other CAN bus fault (my car, being a 2005 model year sends speed over the CAN bus!).

Interestingly, every time the fault occurs, it is preceeded by a brake pad wear sensor alarm. This, combined with my external temperature sensor problem(always reads about -5 degrees regardless) makes me think that there is a dodgy earth somewhere in the front nearside area. On the other hand, as I drove in to work this morning, I didn't have the climate working (as it's failed, due to needing a re-gas and a high pressure sensor), and as there was less of a power drain on the system, I wondered if the steering would behave: it did!

Lastly, the steering always comes back after turning off the ignition and re-starting the car.

I'll get to the bottom of things, but it may take me a while

Cheers,

Mike

If you do sell, it'll probably cost you more to change than it would to do a fix, which is all the more reason to keep the A2.

I have put a new earth into the nearside headlight loom and this seems to have cured the steering fault (I've not had it for the last 2 days - fingers crossed). Oh, and I changed the front discs and pads last night too, which needed doing.

It probably is a lot more simple than you'd think, but the troubleis that the solution isn't obvious.

Cheers,

Mike

Back