HELP .... Boot door stuck!

Jellybean

A2OC Donor
Ok so after finding water inside I swapped the boot door seal. Checked inside and all dry now.
I come to undo the door and it will not budge. When the unlock button is pressed there’s a whirring, but it doesn’t release.
How do I get the door open to sort this out?
Any ideas where to look for the problem?

Hopefully the manual boot release cable is intact.

Open the back doors of the car. Fold down the seats. If you look on the upper surface of the trim panel plastic moulding inside the lower half of the boot lid, just left of centre is a small panel with a slot in it - you should be able to insert a screwdriver to pop it out. The boot release cable is attached to this. Pull gently and it should release the catch and allow you to open the door.

If the cable isn't there, you will need to remove the trim inside the boot lid which is a pain of a job - see (for instance) thread here or other A2OC boot latch threads for hints and tips.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/bootlid-not-locking.34443/#post-299602

Robin many thanks. So when inside I am looking for a cable end at the top left corner of the door? I assume this is hidden by the side trim panel?

when the boot lid is closed, if you can imagine where a normal car would have the motor for a rear windscreen wiper at the bottom edge of the window, work leftward around a foot of there as you look at it from inside on the upper surface of the boot lid trim piece. There is a small rectangular insert (maybe 5cm by 3cm) with a slot in it - this has the release cable attached to the underside, so providing you use a screwdriver to pop the plastic piece out, it should have the cable attached to it.

this photo shows the reverse side of the trim panel - the cable is going to the top right of the panel as photographed, so top left of the panel when it is in situ.

Attachments

• a2 bootlid trim.jpg
    a2 bootlid trim.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 299
If you need to actually remove the trim panel to get access to the mechanicals of the latch / solenoid, I've highlighted in yellow the location of the 9 spring clips that hold the panel into the slots in the pressing of the inside of the tailgate panel. I only removed this with the tailgate open and with access to the side edges to persuade it to begin moving - if the tailgate is still closed the only way to get it off would be with 2 fingers in the hole for the release cable and the other hand in the handle (grey rectangle lower edge right of centre in this photo) and then a lot of brute force to try to pop the clips off. Hopefully this won't be necessary, but if the release solenoid (that whirrs when you press the button) or its connection to the latch is playing up you may need to get in there. Replacing the solenoid once the panel is off is dead easy. Good luck!

Attachments

• mounting clips.jpg
    mounting clips.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 266
The release cable is plastic, be gentle. It's also easy to disconnect it from the release mechanism if you yank it leaving you with the lovely job of removing the door card which is tricky enough with the door open. Good luck.

Robin many thanks for the guidance. Will just finish my cereal n then go do battle with the door!
If you need to actually remove the trim panel to get access to the mechanicals of the latch / solenoid, I've highlighted in yellow the location of the 9 spring clips that hold the panel into the slots in the pressing of the inside of the tailgate panel. I only removed this with the tailgate open and with access to the side edges to persuade it to begin moving - if the tailgate is still closed the only way to get it off would be with 2 fingers in the hole for the release cable and the other hand in the handle (grey rectangle lower edge right of centre in this photo) and then a lot of brute force to try to pop the clips off. Hopefully this won't be necessary, but if the release solenoid (that whirrs when you press the button) or its connection to the latch is playing up you may need to get in there. Replacing the solenoid once the panel is off is dead easy. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hope that it proves to be the simplest possible problem - I wouldn't have known how to do this without the help and replacement parts from people here a couple of months ago. Damadgeruk's point about being careful with the cable is well founded - it isn't very beefy, and is attached to the bootlatch by a wee plastic pin through the metal latch - if tugged too hard I could see this snapping off or pulling out.

Well sods law prevails. Unlocked the car and boot opened as it should. Must keep an eye on this. Lubricated mechanism well so fingers crossed.
Many thanks guys.
Hope that it proves to be the simplest possible problem - I wouldn't have known how to do this without the help and replacement parts from people here a couple of months ago. Damadgeruk's point about being careful with the cable is well founded - it isn't very beefy, and is attached to the bootlatch by a wee plastic pin through the metal latch - if tugged too hard I could see this snapping off or pulling out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back