help - clanking noise when going over bumps

Hi all

No sooner than my last post quoting no problems @ 94k miles, I now have one!

Today, the car is demonstrating a loudish clanking noise (which seems to be coming from the front) when going over bumpy terrain.

I have never heard the noise before, it has just started today, but it's well and truly staying. (had to make a dash to the train station 3 miles).

I'm my "designer" status, I'm thinking it's obviously suspension related... or is it?

Any help appreciated....

bba

A couple of things to suggest:

1. The rubber bushes in the anti-roll bar mountings - or more specifically the metal bushes that keep them in place and locate the bar laterally. These can be a weak spot - in common with VW Polos that use similar parts. Certainly on older cars, this necessitates the whole anti-roll bar being replaced! Boo. Just had this done..

2. Anti-roll bar drop links - ours needed replacing at just over 50k miles. They rattled over small road surface lumps and bumps.

GrayB

May I ask what i cost you to have your roll bar(s) replaced.... are we talking cheap or dear?

bba

JUST HAD A BUTCHERS... it's the roll bar bush (it's split and now it's removed).
Guess I'll be doing the same, having this replaced.

Last edited:
Hey bba,

the Audi dealer quoted over £400 - roughly half labour, half parts.

We had the work done by our tame independant mechanic in Hailsham. The bar was about £56 I think, then there were bushes etc which were a few pounds. It does take a fair bit of labour though (the subframe has to be lowered) - so I think the total was just under £200. I can look at the invoice when I get home tonight if you want. In theory, you then need a 4-wheel alignment check. Our friend was fairly certain that only the camber could have altered, so we are just watching the tyre wear - the car feels fine and tracks straight.

I'll get back to you with specific figures later.

Grayb

i also suffered this fate twice, and then some friends of mine at AMD said to me, next time it happens bring it down here, so i did, they replaced the bushes at about £2 each and not a lot of labour, and it's not happened since, so may i just point out to people with an A2, if audi say the anti roll bar is broken, it's probably not, it's most likely the bushes that have gone

My understanding is as follows - though I may be wrong. I didn't do the work myself, just remembering what Chris told me afterwards.

I think it is easier to just replace the bushes in later cars. The earlier models have a bar with a thinner cross section where the bushes are, to accomodate bushes with a metal collar (the bit the locates the bar laterally) - and it is these collars that break. The replacment bar we got had a larger cross section there with a bush retaining lip on the bar, so perhaps that would make it possible to replace the bushes alone next time. Our guy said he had hoped to just do the bushes but it just wasn't possible with the parts he had. Perhaps the AMD people know better - I'm willing to be proved wrong!

We paid £57.36 for the bar and £1.94 each for the bushes and about 2.5 hours for the work, all plus VAT.

Audi wanted £491 including alignment check!

you could be right there, my car is an 02 plate made in 01, so it could be the newer or older, i will give them a call when i get chance and enquire

Might help - might not ... but I have been tracking a rattling noise in my A2 which happens on the overrun in high gears.

Audi know of 2 main problems which are
1. The intercooler pipe bracket on diesels failing
2. The dashboard support strut on the drivers side working loose

However this was not the fault with mine so the search goes on!

Knocking Sound

Hi bye bye

I have experienced the same problem as yours.Definately the problem is the anti-roll bar + bushes.:cool:

Me too - 02 car, with 12000 miles and the roll bar bushings had to be replaced -thankfully under warranty:rolleyes: It involved new roll bar and full alignment. Disgraceful for such a low mileage.

PaulW said:
Me too - 02 car, with 12000 miles and the roll bar bushings had to be replaced -thankfully under warranty:rolleyes: It involved new roll bar and full alignment. Disgraceful for such a low mileage.

Chris, the mechanic who replaced ours, had seen the same problem on Polos. He thought it should have been subject to a recall - but then imagine recalling 100's of 1000's of Polos and A2s (and maybe Ibizas and Fabias)? They would avoid that wouldn't they....

Yes it was the roll bar malarkey.

The original plastic sleeves, had split and fell out on one side... not bad for 95k miles!

I've had a new roll bar £60 and a friend fitted for me, he said it's the same as a polo and his beetle.
Interestingly the new roll bar has a collar welded to it, this allows you to replace just the rubber bushes at about £5... why the hell didn't they fit this as standard, as some older polo's etc already have this new rool bar...

anyway it's fixed now.

bba

anti roll bar

Hi
I have been quoted £495 from audi and its booked in on monday
as they say i need a new one

73,000miles but lots of speed humps in london!

but now reading this im not so sure about going ahead,how can i get this done cheaper in Hertfordshire?

or would AMD just replace the bushes on a 02 plate a2?

has anyone got AMD's details

Back