Help Fault Code p0116

popalmr1

Hi ,

My first ever post so not sure if i have done this correct.... appologies if this ends up in the wrong place....

I am looking for some help. My engine fault light on my 1.6 FSI Audi A2 (yellow) has just come one. It came on over a year ago and i took it to Audi at a cost of £120 and they said it needed a Nox ECU replacement....

1 year and 2 weeks on this light has come back on again. I rang Audi Cardiff (most unhelpfull) and said bring it back in for £120 and they will see whats wrong. If it was the same fault they would charge to do the Nox ECU thingy again as it was 2 weeks out of warranty.... ( I AM NOT HAPPY ) the car has only done 14000 miles.

I called out the AA instead and their computer is saying its a fault code P0116 Engine coolant temp sensor out of range...

I dont want to take it to Audi Cardiff to be charged a fortune.. any ideas on how to fix this or what part i need to buy to take to a garage....
Apologies again if this has already been answered.
Many thanks

Kristian

Hello Kristian,

Sorry that your first post to the club is about a problem, but hopefully we cab help you out.

It looks like the fault code is related to a faulty coolant temperature sensor, G62 as it is known:

16500/P0116/000278 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal
Possible Symptoms

* Starting the engine when engine is warmish or warm, idle rpm immediately is 1200 - 3000 rpm.
o Diesel: an indication is extreme long time burning time of the glow indication light.
* With all engine temperatures seldom idle rpm will vary between 900 - 1000 rpm.
* With engine warm (90 °C) the engine temperature suddenly drops (70 °C) and slowly comes back to 90 °C.

Possible Causes

* Wiring and/or connections faulty
* Engine Coolant Sensor (G62) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check wiring and connections
* Replace Engine Coolant Sensor (G62)

Special Notes

* In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-cars the G2/G62 had the bad reputation of breaking down often. The default G2/G62 is black and all replacements are green.
* Check if the correct Coolant Fan Control Module/Relay is installed (check part number using parts catalogue)!

The above is from the Ross Tech fault code guide. The sensor itself is mounted at the left hand side of the cylinder head (as you look into the engine bay from the front) and has a 4-pin plug attached to it.

A new sensor is £26.79 and you should get a new O ring seal and retaining clip at the same time, for a total of £1.44.

This is a do-it-yourself job to replace, so you can save yourself £80-100 per hour for labour.

Cheers,

Mike

Many thanks for your quick response , i am relieved that it is not going to cost me a fortune...

Will let you know how i get on..

Will the engine fault light automatically go off when fitting this new part?

Many thanks for your quick response , i am relieved that it is not going to cost me a fortune...

Will let you know how i get on..

Will the engine fault light automatically go off when fitting this new part?

It will do, if not immediately, then after a couple of hundred miles or so. If it stays on, get a scan done at our next social - all it'll cost is a contribution to club funds.

Cheers,

Mike

Back