Help in needed a replacement Audi 1.4 tdi fuel pump

My Audi A2 known on here as the “project car” has developed a fault the fuel pump in the diesel tank stops working when it gets hot. It let me down on the way to an important meeting.
My garage Mark Tempest of Welwyn Garden City tell me they cannot locate a replacement fuel pump. They say they have tried Euro car parts Any suggestions please.

There is no in-tank fuel pump on the TDI, which might explain why they can't find a replacement. The fuel is sucked all the way through the fuel lines from the tank by the tandem pump on the left side of the engine, which also supplies the servo vacuum.

First I would be checking for leaks i.e. air getting in, especially from around the fuel filter just in front of (one of) the rear wheels. Be careful, on a post-2003 filter housing (i.e BHC or ATL engine), the drain screw will be extremely brittle - it may even be the cause of the problem. They're OK on the earlier AMF engine though. @depronman is your man to replace the drain screw with an aluminium one if you need it.

2004 diesel does not have a pump inside the diesel tank. Your car only has a tandem pump and will be a LUK pump. So you need a replacement tandem LUK or same pattern pump and a quality OEM type gasket. When you locate a replacement tandem come back and check it is suitable as not all will directly fit onto the BHC or ATL diesel engines in the UK. The plastic filter housing is also on later AMF engined cars like my one.

Assuming the fuel filter is not dirty or other leaks.

Perhaps if you explain to us why the garage is saying the fuel pump and any other symptoms of the issue you are experiencing.

Last edited:
Early TDis did have an electric fuel pump near the tank. Part no. 5:

You shouldn't need to replace it though. Just update to later standard.

RAB
There's some discussion on the German A2 forum relating to this part, it suggests that this is a thermostat to assist in regulating the fuel temperature.

The fuel thermostat was fitted into the T piece on top of the metal style fuel filter canister and is not fitted to the plastic later fuel filter housing.

2004 diesel does not have a pump inside the diesel tank. Your car only has a tandem pump and will be a LUK pump. So you need a replacement tandem LUK or same pattern pump and a quality OEM type gasket. When you locate a replacement tandem come back and check it is suitable as not all will directly fit onto the BHC or ATL diesel engines in the UK. The plastic filter housing is also on later AMF engined cars like my one.

Assuming the fuel filter is not dirty or other leaks.

Perhaps if you explain to us why the garage is saying the fuel pump and any other symptoms of the issue you are experiencing.
The A2 will start but cut out when it gets hot. I have passed the above information to the garage and this is their reply

“The part number you need to search for is 8Z0919183B (Audi system refers to it as a transmitter unit for the fuel gauge). Our technicians would call it a lift pump in the tank. It sends fuel to the fuel filter, which then goes to the tandem pump, ending up with sending pressure to the injectors.

I have double checked with our suppliers, including Euro Car Parts, and the genuine number doesn’t cross over to anything they do. Unfortunately ECPs website, available to the general public, isn’t always accurate.”

Can you please help re Audi part number 8Z0919183B

Can you please help re Audi part number 8Z0919183B
Available new from Audi Tradition. Here's the link:

You could ask @CreweAudi to quote on getting this for you, given their announcement this morning

Not saying your garage is wrong but are they sure they know about Audi A2s. Yes most diesels have a lift pump in the diesel tank but the 1.4 tdi was only fitted with a lift pump for a very brief period in early production. The engine mounted tandem pump does all the work of sucking the fuel from the tank, through the fuel filter and pressurising it before sending it to the injectors.

Here is a picture of a 8Z0919183B and you can clearly see the only electrical connections on it are the 2 wires for the fuel level sensor and nothing else therefore no electrical driven pump inside it.

1659358365434.png

This example is on ebay now.

Please confirm your model year and which engine is the same as your profile listing.

Back