Help! :( Lots of head scratching going on!

brum

Hey,

This is my 1st post! :) I drive an 02 1.6 FSI Sport.

Ok, so I am no mechanic but not completely silly! Basically it all started when my clutch bearing started to go. That terrible noise when you push the clutch?! So got some advice and everybody i asked agreed it was this. So, got it booked into my local.

Upon doing this i decided while the car was being worked on, I'd ask to get the clutch and flywheel replaced at the same time. 95000 miles and its never been done... thought this was a sensible plan.

Ok so i go and get into the car to drive it to garage. I get to the end of my road, go to pull away (with this terrible squealing noise) and then my poor Brum dies on me.. :( Now the car wont start.. :S So I pushed it back home and got the garage to come and recover it.

Got a call yesterday from my mechanic saying he's fitted everything, but still cant get her to start, and now he's scratching his head...

Ideas anyone!? :(

Thankssss!

Dan :)

Hi Dan.

Welcome to the A2oc.

Has your mechanic done a scan? If you could get the results it would give members the info to help you.

Good luck

Cheers

David

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. Just spoken to the mechanic, he has told me he Scanned the car with no fault code showing.. He also said that because the car wont run, it won't throw up any new codes. Is this right? He has now said that he is thinking of checking the timing just incased it has slipped. The cam belts were done at 80,000 miles so are new and tight so i dont think this could have happened. Could it!?

And just to let you know i know the mechanic quite well, He's not charging me any more for this extra hastle. I sourced my own parts and he is charging me £250 for the labour. Fixed price. So its not like he's trying to get any more money out of me, thats not going to happen!

What shall i do now?! :(

Dan

It can be scanned, the ignition needs to be on and thats it. The engine does not need to be running.
Is the engine spinning over on start up, ie starter motor working???
John

Oh right, maybe when i explained this he thought i was talking about something different. Sorry to sound silly, but when you say scan, what exactly do you mean? :S I assumed you were referring to plugging the code reader in underneath the steering wheel... No? Please feel free to correct me..

Yes the engine turns over but wont fire up. So the starter motor works. Also the car was working quite well (for an FSI) before the clutch bearing went. I recently replaced all 4 spark plugs and coil packs myself.

I forgot to mention before, but when i ordered my parts he also asked me get a "cam sensor" which has also been fitted. In total i ordered a clutch kit, flywheel, cam sensor, clutch slave cylinder, oil + air + + fuel filters, engine oil, gearbox oil. Obviously with a view of servicing the car at the same time.

Anyway thanks for you quick reply John! I really appreciate the help provided on this site :) Hope this info helps!

Dan

Yes when John said scan he meant the plug under the steering wheel. And it should scan with the ingition on.

What type of scanner is your chap using ? Some of the generic readers don't always bring up codes. The only way of getting a reliable scan is with Ross tec vag-com.

Good luck I hope you get this sorted.

Cheers

David

I just had a thought. But dose your chap have any codes from when he started the job? That may throw some light on the matter.

Cheers

David

A faulty crankshaft speed sensor is one of the few things which will actually stop the engine running. As the guys have indicated, a diagnostic scan after the engine has been cranked over a few times should be enough to flag up any fault codes related to the starting problem.

Just remembered, if the timing has been set a tooth or two out, the cam sensor sends conflicting info to the engine ecu and the engine may not start. If I remember correctly, others who have had this problem disconnected the cam sensor and the engine fired after a few revs - worth a try but it would not explain why the engine died on the way to the garage.

Cheers Spike

Back