Help! My 1.4SE won't start - any ideas gratefully received!

triang

Hello from a newbie.

My 2002 14.se (petrol) has 35,000 on the clock and about a 2 months ago I started having hot starting problemd. If I left it 5 minutes it would start ok.

This only happened about once every 30 starts or so,

The the engine management light came on, then it went out after a while, then it came on again and then went away once more.

Took it to main dealer who said there were too many ecm faullts registered and to come back when it goes on again.

2 weeks later it came on briefly and went out again.

Went to start it this morning and it would not fire. Tried 5 or 6 times during the day and no dice. It always has started from cold.

Now I needed it to be towed to the Audi garage:(

Any ideas?

Is it normal for a car to record loads of diagnostic faults or does this spell big bucks for me?

Any advice gratefully recieved.;)

lift the rear seats and listen, when you turn the key, for the petrol pump turning on. You'll only really hear it if the seats are up. If that works and there's no obvious other signs on the dash (how old *is* the battery?) then the chances are there's an electronics issue.

Scan it. Without the results of a recent scan, we're stabbing in the dark.

The starter turns but it won't catch? Tried it with another key?

Bret

lift the rear seats and listen, when you turn the key, for the petrol pump turning on. You'll only really hear it if the seats are up. If that works and there's no obvious other signs on the dash (how old *is* the battery?) then the chances are there's an electronics issue.

Scan it. Without the results of a recent scan, we're stabbing in the dark.

The starter turns but it won't catch? Tried it with another key?

Bret

Thanks for the quick response Bret, I can hear a *whir* under seat when key turned, tried another key - battery is 2 years old.

I need to have it scanned - anyone recognise the symptoms?

As you say, a scan is the best way forwards and if there's a member near you, I'm sure we can help out.

The symptoms are possibly indicative of a fuelling problem, but it could be a lot of other things too.

Cheers,

Mike

As you say, a scan is the best way forwards and if there's a member near you, I'm sure we can help out.

The symptoms are possibly indicative of a fuelling problem, but it could be a lot of other things too.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike - any Vagcom owners in the London SW18 area?

Back