Help! my open sky wont shut

Heather

Well the A2 is in my garage this evening with the open sky in the open position.
It's been opening/closing without fault for the last few weeks and indeed today,several times before giving up.
The worrying thing is that the right hand side wants to close, but the left stays put.
I have had problems with it in the past getting stuck when opening (same problem as in the other open sky posting) and, all it needed was lubricating. I know it can be shut manually so will have a go at that tomorrow if it still fails with the normal switch.

Anyone else had the same thing?
H.

If it's sticking on one side, try to give it a helping hand (literally).

With the manual close, DON'T FORCE IT!

You an apply much more force with the manual crank, and possibly break the glass or mechanism. Be gentle!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike,
We did apply a little gentle force to get it part-way closed yesterday as it was all the way open when it decided to give up and got it to the first open position. However it seems lop sided.
Had a bird strike on Friday whilst driving at speed on the left side, near the open sky while it was open. With it being so warm here yesterday i was wondering whether the left hand side has warped slightly as the bird made quite a thud.
H

Hi Heather,

Sounds like the EXACT problem i've had with my OpenSky, and to be well and truely honest I had to help the passenger side manually whilst pressing the close button to get the damn thing shut. Reading up on a few threads on here has put me off to get it fixed. I've come to a point where i feel that the roof is more than likely going to cost too much for me to maintain it. So i've managed to get it shut properly and i'll leave it that way, the way I see it is that it's just a nice bonus having a glass roof as opposed to the tinny one.

So i'm sorry to hear that yours has done the same, I just hope you manage to find a way get it shut!

Cheers,

Mike

Oh dear, what with its second service in 500 miles, mot due, road tax due(although only £50, hurrah!!) and insurance due ... looks like more expensive times ahead with regards the roof.
Will let you know how i get on. Had to get a lift to work today incase it rained!!!

Heather said:
Oh dear, what with its second service in 500 miles, mot due, road tax due(although only £50, hurrah!!) and insurance due ... looks like more expensive times ahead with regards the roof.
Will let you know how i get on. Had to get a lift to work today incase it rained!!!

Your road tax should be £35 as it was reduced in the budget last month!
Some good news at least but by the sounds on it your open sky will bprobably cost more than the £15 you saved:(

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but tdiman you say it's £35 for diesel's but do you have any idea on how much it would be for the 1.4 petrol?

Thanks,

Mike

m i k e said:
Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but tdiman you say it's £35 for diesel's but do you have any idea on how much it would be for the 1.4 petrol?

Thanks,

Mike

A2 1.4 petrol sits in band C equates to £115 per year for the pleasure of owning a car on the Queens highway!!!

Just applied for the new tax disc on line ... great stuff £35!(what a very nice chancellor we have)!!!
Also went in to Derby Audi today and they managed to get the open sky closed, but it is still not closed flush on the left hand side - the side that wouldnt move. They said they need to order the parts and have the car in for two days.
So it is booked in for May 03rd for the roof and its 2nd variable service, and im praying to God that i win the premium bonds on May 01!!
At least i'll get a nice courtesy Audi to play in whilst mine is fixed

To those who have problems opening and closing their open sky roofs the manufacturer, Arvin Meritor, has produced a solution and it should be available through Audi dealers by now. Essentially it is a small plate that stops the twisting which can occur. Its a fairly recent development but with all the good weather we've had over Easter it would be a shame for anybody to miss the fresh air.

Heather said:
Just applied for the new tax disc on line ... great stuff £35!(what a very nice chancellor we have)!!!
Also went in to Derby Audi today and they managed to get the open sky closed, but it is still not closed flush on the left hand side - the side that wouldnt move. They said they need to order the parts and have the car in for two days.
So it is booked in for May 03rd for the roof and its 2nd variable service, and im praying to God that i win the premium bonds on May 01!!
At least i'll get a nice courtesy Audi to play in whilst mine is fixed

Good luck, hope everything pans out for you, sorry to seem rude but would you mind getting back to us on this thread to let me know how much they charged you to fix it?

Many Thanks,

Mike

Back