**help with engine problem**

Hi folks, wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem, or, from my hamfisted description could tell me or help with a problem with my A2 engine.

I recently drove from South Yorks, to London and back, so around 480 miles, and it drove faultless, ive used it for the first time since, and my engine light started flashing about 5 mins into my journey, the engine started getting really juddery, and it doesnt have a steady rev count, like the engine is losing power?? the car has done 104k, its a petrol 1.4 SE, when i bought it, it had 103k on the clock, and i made enquiries about the Timing belt being done, because id read that it needs doing after 80k? the fella couldn't giveme details, but i liked it, and wanted it, and spent my money... could it be the belt? or could it be something else? any help would be amazing, as im not 100% mechanically minded, but i do have the power of the internet, and a mechanic mate who can fix these problems blindfolded

Probably a coil pack.
If you can get to m62 j30 then you can have one for free.

Finally got round to having a look inside the engine today, and noticed that the coil pack has puddles of oil in it, has anyone got any advice please?

You'd need to do a scan with a VAGCOM or similar computer to find out which cylinder is being affected. I agree with CHB that it sounds like a coil pack though, I had similar symptoms recently and it was a coil pack. I'm lucky in that I have VAGCOM scan software so I was able to determine which cylinder was being affected. If you don't have access to a scan, then buy a replacement coil pack and by process of elimination, try it on each cylinder until you've found the culprit. That really isn't the ideal solution, but it's the only one if no scanner I suppose! Also, the coil packs are held in quite tightly and you're supposed to use a special tool to get them out. Similarly, the connecting plug and wire are both tight, difficult to undo and short (the wires) so DO NOT force them under any circumstances, or you'll be stuffed! There are plenty of references made by others on this forum as to the correct way to undo electrical plugs on the Audi A2 so I'd suggest having a quick read of these. All in all, it's a 5 minute job to replace a coil pack, providing you can get the old one out, and unplugged, without breaking anything.
To buy a replacement, either go to VW/Audi direct (some VW Polo engines have the same coils on, as do some Seat and Skodas, in case you don't have an Audi garage nearby) or look up the part number that will be written ontop of the coil packs. If your coil packs don't have any numbers on top of them, then they're generic non-original coil packs, suggesting they've been replaced in the past and not with quality or genuine items.

With regards to the oil you've found, it would be worth trying to find out where it's come from, but the actual coil pack itself shouldn't have any on it from itself as it's a dry and sealed electrical item with no moving parts inside it (and so no oil).
By the way, the rough running you described would be because the car was in effect running on 3 cylinders, hence also why it was down on power.
Hope that helps,
Jon.

Back