Help with Gear Knob ..

Artnix22

Help in removal of plastic collar in Gear Knob - ideas ?

Can anyone help with Gear Knob install problems ?:)

Have purchased new Gear Knob for SE -

I would like to remove the leather gaitor from the old gear knob - with out damage -and replace on to the new one - the problem sees to be in the first photo - the black plastic collar- please can anyone help with an easy solution for safe removal ?
please see photos attached

Thanks Nick

Last edited:
Hi Nick
There is no easy way - its just a case of pulling off the plastic collar which is a snap fit.
It's a while since I did mine but I think it was just a case of warming it up to make it more pliable then twisting / pulling to 'work' the collar over the shoulder which holds it in place.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike - does it totally come free from the stem of the knob ? then you can push it back on the the new one - just afraid to pull it a bit to hard - seems to rotate all the way round - so just pull back in any direction and hope .. any tools to aid this ?

Hi.
Or you can destroy it with a Stanley-knife ,after having removed the metal-clamp. Then replace it with part : 8Z0 711 184A this is more cone and is the original that fits on the leather gaiter. Remember new clamp also. I changet to an alu S-Line knob this way with fine result ( from VAG parts)Good luck:eek:)
Jossi

Thanks Spike - does it totally come free from the stem of the knob ? then you can push it back on the the new one - just afraid to pull it a bit to hard - seems to rotate all the way round - so just pull back in any direction and hope .. any tools to aid this ?

Yes it can be removed completely. After warming, the combination of pulling and twisting at the same time - like unscrewing a tight nut - seems to do the trick. On mine there was no damage to the collar and it snapped straight back in position.

Cheers Spike

Back