Help with oil leak

Steve321

Had my A2 about 6 months now but not had time to do much to it but as now no work I thought I would try to find the oil leak that's been there since I have had it . I got the general area but access is not good not sure what to check or remove frist it seems to be coming from the block around the oil filler pipe is any help appreciated.

If you've a ramp drive up and go underneath the car. Remove the engine cover, lots of screws all around it, plenty of info on how-to here just search it. Then you'd see more where is it leaking from, it could be the seal of the block, which could be expensive or perhaps just the oil sum plug is loose, in that case just needs to be tightened. The oil filter on Tdi is on the top of the engine , on petrol engine is more hidden and difficult to reach. These are the basics to start with, but I'm sure others with tdi cars will give more info as I got petrol one.

If its a TDi the plastic corrugated oil filler pipe from the front panel can split ,be it age, vibration or a mechanic unfamiliar with A2 dropping the engine for access /timing belt etc without first disconnecting from fill point end

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have this exact problem on my newly aquired A2 ....where would you recommend that I purchase this pipe either new or second hand ?

Thanks in advance.

You have confirmed that pipe is your problem? Getting any spare just now is not easy. New obviously the better choice but you may struggle to get new or used. Suggest once you are sure what you need post a wanted ad in Market. There is a £2 upgrade needed to your account if not already done so.

Hi and thanks...yes it's definitely the plastic pipe....it's completely severed ! how do i go about upgrading please ?

If a new one is the only option where would you recommend I purchase it from ?

Thanks.

Click on your name, then account upgrades. Pay the one off £2 you can then view and post on Market.

As to where all you can do is try TPS, ECP and the other suppliers. Do not even think @CreweAudi are operating.

Can you remove the dipstick and blank off the pipe even if you take it off the block. Not ideal but will keep you mobile until things start to improve. Check the oil level first and top up to max before you remove the stick and blank off.

Thanks very much for the info..I'll get the market sorted a little later.

I did think about blanking it off but wasn't sure what to use Incase it went into the block and knacker the whole thing, what would you suggest using to blank it off ?

Believe it or not good old cork works well. only recently did they stop using it as a plug for oiling points in a lot of heavy machinery, steam trains are full of them. Best to have a tight fitting taper and it is not going to be permanent. First thing to do is decide where you are going to blank it then work through suitable materials starting with bolts and cover plates then the plug method using various Oil resistant materials such as cork, plastic, rubber etc. Can you repair the tube by inserting another tube inside it to join the 2 parts?

Not much chance of fitting another tube because it's broken right at the bottom near the block, I'll try and find something to block it off tomorrow and post a wanted as on the market later...thanks for your help.

Is it not possible to for a conventional dipstick and tube from a polo, lupo or fabia 1.4 tdi and do away with the sevice flap one?
i know you would have to remove the bonnet to check the oil though.

Not much chance of fitting another tube because it's broken right at the bottom near the block, I'll try and find something to block it off tomorrow and post a wanted as on the market later...thanks for your help.
For a secondhand part contact @A2Steve or @Clackers

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

If none of our resident breakers can help ( and you have placed a wanted ad ) then PERHAPS if you contact this company explaining the part you need they MAY be able to help you.

LLLGroup Ltd

Vikintas Staras

Forest House Business Centre

8 Gainsborough Road

London

E11 1HT

United Kingdom

From this ebay item 202371063456

Thanks audifan, none of the resident breakers that I've contacted have the part at the moment so I'll go ahead and message the company you suggest on ebay now...thanks for your help.

Back