Help!

NG13

Hiya folks. Just bought a 1.4tdi (75) SE for my fiancee. She's saying that the car is struggling to get up through the revs when, for example, she's on the motorway going uphill. It's just had a service and nothing reported but it's like it's struggling to pick up pace. She could be going 70 then when it's on a slope the revs are heading back down pretty bad. Any suggestions??
Cheers

Hi NG13
Puzzled!
Even a stock standard tdi will fly up most uphills, our 75 tdi (51) puts a smile on my face (many other members will agree) and pulls away strongly from many other types of vehicles and certainly most if not all of comparable size/engine.
Are you perhaps comparing the A2 with another vehicle of more power? How does it perform generally? Have you the chance of driving another tdi to make a better comparison.
If there is an issue though, you can rest assured you will get the right answer here. Good luck!

The clue is in the question I think.

You mentioned that the car had recently been serviced and it is quite normal for pipes to pop off during this, especially a cambelt service.

Take a look around the left side of the engine bay (drivers side) and follow each of the little black rubber pipes. These are vacuum pipes and control the EGR valve and the turbo control amongst other things.

My money is on the turbo pipe being off, as it sounds like the car is in limp mode.

Cheers,

Mike

struggling

this is what was happening to mine however mine was overheating as well and turned out to be the head gasket costing >£500!! dont want to scare you but make sure its not overheating if not overheating could be a turbo issue for example something as simple as a split in a pipe .

please describe the symptoms ie smoke coolant loss overheating ect ect and how the engine is sounding ect maybe mike (skipton01) can assist then.

simon

Hi NG13
Puzzled!
Even a stock standard tdi will fly up most uphills, our 75 tdi (51) puts a smile on my face (many other members will agree) and pulls away strongly from many other types of vehicles and certainly most if not all of comparable size/engine.
Are you perhaps comparing the A2 with another vehicle of more power? How does it perform generally? Have you the chance of driving another tdi to make a better comparison.
If there is an issue though, you can rest assured you will get the right answer here. Good luck!

I suggest you drive the car yourself.... not that I am casting doubts on the female of the species ability to describe faults but relaying them on here secondhand makes a diagnosis even more difficult!

Cheers for the advice folks. I've driven other TDI's before and this is what was making me think something was wrong. I'll take a look at the pipes as well.

I'm going to take the motor out tomorrow and see if the Mrs is being a typical chick!

I'll let you know tomorrow once I've been out.

Cheers again,
NG13

Back