Help !!!

A2 Louis

Banned
Hi everyone as you may know today I have changed the gearbox oil on Doris

While refilling the gearbox I only managed to get around 1.3 1.4 1.5 maximum litres in before it started spilling out :rolleyes::)

My question is will it be fine with 1.3 litres minimum in it or does it need way more ? As I say I think I’ve probably got 1.4 litres in it but I of course can’t measure it lol ?

Is there another way of filling the gearbox up ?I have roughly 0.4 0.5 litres left of brand new fluid :)

If there is another way of filling it up how do I do it ? :)

Thanks everyone

Hi everyone as you may know today I have changed the gearbox oil on Doris

While refilling the gearbox I only managed to get around 1.3 1.4 1.5 maximum litres in before it started spilling out :rolleyes::)

My question is will it be fine with 1.3 litres minimum in it or does it need way more ? As I say I think I’ve probably got 1.4 litres in it but I of course can’t measure it lol ?

Is there another way of filling the gearbox up ?I have roughly 0.4 0.5 litres left of brand new fluid :)

If there is another way of filling it up how do I do it ? :)

Thanks everyone
Was the car on level ground? How much old oil came out? - Andy

I'm seeing other threads where people are only getting in around 1.5 litres against a theoretical capacity of 1.9 litres. I would imagine that not all the old oil was able to drain out due to the angle the car is at. You will still have substantially renewed the oil though. You could repeat the process again after some time interval to reduce the old oil concentration even further.

I do remember reading about a DIY filling kit, nozzle, metre of garden hose (or anything), filter funnel and fill from coolant bottle level. Maybe worth trying this with the car off the ramps. I would not be happy with the discrepancy between how much came out and what you put in.

Andy

I do remember reading about a DIY filling kit, nozzle, metre of garden hose (or anything), filter funnel and fill from coolant bottle level. Maybe worth trying this with the car off the ramps. I would not be happy with the discrepancy between how much came out and what you put in.

Andy
Can you fill it up by the gear selector tower ?

If so how do I take it apart to fill it up :)

Forgot to say the gear changes are really smooth :) before it was abit stiff

Hello,

I would not worry about it. The 1.4 petrol only took about 1.3 litres and the TDi took about 1.8L.
Do the job again in another few months and soon your gear oil will be in a much better state.
Change the oil as often as you like, its got to be better for the box than no maintenance.

Audi say sealed for life, I think its open for debate, especially with the selector tower water ingress problems.

I've seen gearbox oil that looks like hot chocolate flowing from the drain plug.

Keep up the good work

Best to Jack the car up one side when draining to allow all the old stuff to come out,praps leave it draining for a while to make sure.When refilling Jack up the other side so that the correct amount can be put back in.Job done

Hello,

I would not worry about it. The 1.4 petrol only took about 1.3 litres and the TDi took about 1.8L.
Do the job again in another few months and soon your gear oil will be in a much better state.
Change the oil as often as you like, its got to be better for the box than no maintenance.

Audi say sealed for life, I think its open for debate, especially with the selector tower water ingress problems.

I've seen gearbox oil that looks like hot chocolate flowing from the drain plug.

Keep up the good work
Did you drain yours on ramps ? did you only manage to get 1.4 l in after draining ? :)

I drained mine the old school way using a trolley jack,did the job and correct amount of oil went back in,that was two years ago and gear changes are nice and smooth

Pete

I’ve done the math everyone 1.7 litres come out of it 200 ml would be old oil still in there as it wasn’t level and then I put 1.45 in it and the 200 ml what is already in it it comes to 1 litre and 650 ml

I have selected all gears and it’s as smooth as a glove and no clunking sounds :) :cool:

I think it will be ok what you guys think? :)

Brilliant........The answer is you don't know if it needs more oil.Only thing you can do is go for a drive with dad,when you get back let the oil level settle on a level surface,then undo the oil level plug,and if you can see or oil seeps out of the housing,thats the correct level.If no oil then top up until it starts to seep out (bottom of the hole is oil level)

Brilliant........The answer is you don't know if it needs more oil.Only thing you can do is go for a drive with dad,when you get back let the oil level settle on a level surface,then undo the oil level plug,and if you can see or oil seeps out of the housing,thats the correct level.If no oil then top up until it starts to seep out (bottom of the hole is oil level)
I have no jack only the A2 one and I don’t trust that :)

It has 1 litre and 650ml In so it’s only 250ml short surely that is ok ?

Back