Hi All, just joined looking for an A2 am I dreaming?

I suppose you guys hear this a lot. Been looking at a lot of cars as my trusty old V40 is looking pretty tired now and is probably long overdue for being turned into a washing machine or the likes. My Problem is I looked at an A2....now I want one.
My question is do I have any hope at all of getting a decent one for around the £1800 mark? Happy to spend some money month by month to get it right, with Christmas this close I just can't do it all at once yet still need a daily driver that's safe (kids) Missed out on a few on ebay at that money but I have a real mistrust of that site after a bad experience. If I am wasting my time please put me out of my misery
Thanks folks

I suppose you guys hear this a lot. Been looking at a lot of cars as my trusty old V40 is looking pretty tired now and is probably long overdue for being turned into a washing machine or the likes. My Problem is I looked at an A2....now I want one.
My question is do I have any hope at all of getting a decent one for around the £1800 mark? Happy to spend some money month by month to get it right, with Christmas this close I just can't do it all at once yet still need a daily driver that's safe (kids) Missed out on a few on ebay at that money but I have a real mistrust of that site after a bad experience. If I am wasting my time please put me out of my misery
Thanks folks

Hi,

Another budding A2 fan !!! Welcome and you will be bitten by the A2 bug if you buy one.

There are A2s around for that price but most will need a little bit of work, but at least you don't have to worry about rusty panels etc.

Most will just need a bit of TLC and a valet (strange how the cheap ones always seem to have an interior like a farmyard !)

Watch out for ads on Autotrader though, many of them in that price range are scams, ESPECIALLY if they have an email address (Hotmail normally) on the pictures or in the text and the ad is from a genuine dealer !!!!.

You might be hard pressed to get a diesel A2 at that price, but they are around occasionally. Search through Gumtree, Piston heads, ebay (even on the spotted and classifieds on here) etc. and you might get lucky, but chances are you might have to look at a petrol A2, they are still great cars.

If you find something of interest, pop a post on here and ask for advice about that specific car and we will give you some free advice.

Good luck

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard!

I've sent you a PM about an A2 that'd possibly be suitable for you and fall within budget.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks very much for both the welcome and the advice guys, I certainly don't mind doing some work. Roadworthy is great to start with then I could afford to spend a little each month to get it right. I used to have a 2001 Golf 1.8t GTI and pretty sure I still have a vagcom cable (and paid licence if I can transfer it to my new laptop) I have to admit the VAG appeal after my bulletproof golf is a clincher. I also have to admit I don't recall ever having seen an A2 on the road before I looked at one, shocking as I think its one of the nicest looking cars I have seen and miles ahead of its time.

Thanks very much for both the welcome and the advice guys, I certainly don't mind doing some work. Roadworthy is great to start with then I could afford to spend a little each month to get it right. I used to have a 2001 Golf 1.8t GTI and pretty sure I still have a vagcom cable (and paid licence if I can transfer it to my new laptop) I have to admit the VAG appeal after my bulletproof golf is a clincher. I also have to admit I don't recall ever having seen an A2 on the road before I looked at one, shocking as I think its one of the nicest looking cars I have seen and miles ahead of its time.

You are going to LOVE the A2, and if you don't mind a bit of work then you will surely get one that will suit, you can then consider all of the mods we can tell you about, as and when you get the money!!!

Please let us know how you get on with your search, hopefully we will hear that you have bought one soon.

I am not connected to the forum organisers in any way, so I can HONESTLY tell you that this is a great forum and it will really enhance your ownership!!!

Fingers crossed for you

Steve B

I just had a quick scan through eBay and there are several in your price range (petrol).

Worth a look, if any take your fancy we can give you our thoughts on them.

Steve B

I was at the honda dealer in leeds at the weekend, they had a 2005 1.4 in graphite met grey in their prep area. Just traded in, but in brilliant condition...clearly had full dealer history as it still had genuine audi floppy wiper and brand new front discs. Didnt ask a price though.

Should also add, as an ex V40 owner and regular on the volvo forum (same user name), welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. You have come to right place , I will try and find some A2s in your price range and post them in the spotted section for you . Whatever A2 you decide to get you will be in safe hands with advice and tips from people on here , when I got my A2 it had every single warning light on and thanks to the people on here I got them all sorted out without paying high prices from garages.

Be prepared for your A2 addiction !!!!

Welcome to the Forum, so much great info on here!

The A2 has been great for us over the last couple of yrs!

Welcome along fella. Hope you find a car soon.

I've had my A2 for a whopping 3 months now. This place is a cracking resource to have at your disposal, as I did when sourcing my car until present.

For that kind of money, I don't think you'll be able to be TOOOO choosy, but you never know. As for optional extras lots can be retrofitted, bar OSS, DIS and climate which would be fiddly, expensive, impossible or all of the above...

So consider this when looking at cars.

All the best, John.

Welcome, I came here a few weeks ago looking for an A2, and i've now bought 3 of em.... :rolleyes: - Very addictive. I kept telling myself ill move on the lower spec ones but I just seem to be collecting them at the moment lol. Mine are all petrol though, I'm not bothered enough about economy to pay the premium for the TDi', and as the TDi is most popular it means finding a petrol in your budget shouldnt be too hard. Even one that needs a little TLC will make a fantastic bargain motor. You just need to narrow down your 'must have' spec and preferred engine, and get shopping :)

Hi
I am another ex volvo v40 owner. Only had my A2 for about a month now. I bought mine privately through Autotrader. I think it is worth registering with them and creating a search within their website for your A2. You can ask to recieve an email notification when a new one becomes available that matches your requirements. Thats how I managed to get mine. Checked my email first thing every morning and called as soon as I could. I was the first to respond. Got to see it the next day and bought it. Good Luck!

Back