Hi Im New

R4VSE

Hello Everyone

I am a new A3 1.4 tdi owner. I just purchased the car yesterday and love it :)

Can anyone be kind enough to tell me how i can change the complete gear nob on the car as it looks a bit tired..Does anyone have a diagram on how it comes off pls

Also does anyone know how i can change the climate control button as one of the buttons are kind of worn so i would like to change the buttons if possible

Also im looking to change the wheels on the car does anyone have any ideas? and what size shall i go for? as i currently have 16" alloys on the car but i fancy something different

I hope i have not asked to many questions my im one of those eager beavers :D

most gear nobs screw on and off i'm guessing a good anti clockwise twist would do it.
regarding alloys i just changed from 16's to 17's and the ride is much much firmer i don't mind but it's fairly harsh compared to my 16's, i love the sportier look though.
not sure about the climate button but i'd be suprised if it is available as a spare part.

Hello R4VSE and welcome.

The gearknob is clamped on by means of a crimped metal ring.

To remove this ring means cutting it off and the new gaiter set will be supplied with a new one.

The climate buttons are not available separately, nor is a new front panel - it;s the full hit I'm afraid. You can strip the buttons off other similar aged cars (A3 & A4) and re-fit them to your unit however, but there are 2 different finishes, a true black, semi-shiney finish and a matt, really dark gray finish too.

As to wheels, anything that is 5-stud, 100mmPCD and offset of around the 32-38mm will be fine. Just make sure that the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination is less than 610mm. You can use anything from the old style A3, the old style TT, Golf4 and even the Chysler PT Cruiser (so I'm told).

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks very much for your help guys

I think maybee a 17s" may be the answer as it will fit in well in the arches

Also guys one thing that is bugging me and that is that when i purchased this car the guy who sold it to me said that the A2s do not come with a spare wheel is that true? As when i checked in the boot there was no wheel not even a space saver is that with all the A2s?

Im kinda worried about taking the car for long trips now not knowing that im covered if i had a blow out... Do you guys have spare wheels in your cars?

The spare wheel was always a no-cost option at the time of ordering and if you didn't have it, you had to specify a false boot floor too (so SE spec cars were covered).

The give-away to see if there ever was a spare wheel is to have a look at the flap covering the battery in the boot - if there's a hole through it, then there was a spare originally. No hole means no spare, so you should have received a compressor and a bottle of gunk.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi R4VSE
A spacesaver spare wheel was a no cost option but only supplied with the car if specifically requested. Standard kit was a can of tyre sealant and a small air compressor which plugs into the cigar lighter socket. A standard size alloy will just fit into the boot but the false floor panel (if you have one) will not sit flat on the side supports as the wheel is too deep. The spacesaver needs inflation before use so the compressor is still required.
Ref the gearknob, be careful if you are considering an aftermarket style as most won't fit the A2's gearstick without bodging.

Cheers Spike

The spare wheel was always a no-cost option at the time of ordering and if you didn't have it, you had to specify a false boot floor too (so SE spec cars were covered).

The give-away to see if there ever was a spare wheel is to have a look at the flap covering the battery in the boot - if there's a hole through it, then there was a spare originally. No hole means no spare, so you should have received a compressor and a bottle of gunk.

Cheers,

Mike

I have just checked now in the boot and i have a compressor and a bottle of gunk..So does that mean that my car never had a spare?
Also my car is a SE which it says on the V5 so were they suppposed to come with a spare ?

What other make vehicle could i use as a space saver for my car?

Last edited:
I have just checked now in the boot and i have a compressor and a bottle of gunk..So does that mean that my car never had a spare?
Also my car is a SE which it says on the V5 so were they suppposed to come with a spare ?

What other make vehicle could i use as a space saver for my car?

Nope, just because you have an SE doesn't mean you automatically got a spare, just a false floor - the spare was still just an option. As I said though, to see if you ever had a spare, look for a small hole in the flap above the battery.

Your search for a spavesaver spare will be a long and hard one - you've better off getting a fifth alloy for longer journeys and just put up with the falso floor being raised up a little.

Cheers,

Mike

Back