HID conversion kits

m i k e

Hi,

i've just been reading through the fitting guides and noticed the one about a HID conversion for the headlights and i was wondering whether anybody knew anything abuot the kit, if so have they done it themselves? Does it cost much and do they know of anywhere in the UK that sells the kit, etc?

Cheers!

Hi Mike,

I've got the very same conversion on mine which I did myself after following the fitting guide. The kit is sold by VAG Parts and can be found at www.vagparts.com/pages/HID_install.htm
They are currently £225 for the complete kit. A vast improvement and a thoroughly recommended upgrade.

Shaf

Hi shaf,

Cheers for the response, don't suppose you've got any pictures of you car before and after the HID changeover? Whats the story with the bulbs aswell, do have to buy special HID bulbs once i've changed it all, if so are they a lot dearer? If i was to buy one of these kits i'm guessing i'd go for the h7 kit? and my final question :) Even if i wasn't the handiest person alive with fitting new electrics, etc do you reckon i could still quite easily install this?

Cheers

m i k e said:
Hi shaf,

Cheers for the response, don't suppose you've got any pictures of you car before and after the HID changeover? Whats the story with the bulbs aswell, do have to buy special HID bulbs once i've changed it all, if so are they a lot dearer? If i was to buy one of these kits i'm guessing i'd go for the h7 kit? and my final question :) Even if i wasn't the handiest person alive with fitting new electrics, etc do you reckon i could still quite easily install this?

Cheers
As far as I know HID lamps are discharge lamps (no filament) which would be an item to get from the original manufacturer at a guess. However, they would have a very long life - so you would probably never replace it!

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I haven't got before & after pictures but the picture at the end of the fitting guide is accurate. There is a definite blueish light and they "spark up" when switched on.
The kit comes complete with everything you'll need including the bulbs which should last the lifetime of the car. They are very expensive but as GrayB says you probably won't need to replace them.
The fitting is very easy, there are literally two wires to connect as in the fitting guide. You'll have to remove both headlamp units. It'll probably take you 45 minutes for the 1st side and 30 minutes for the other. If you're near me I'll gladly give you a hand.

Shaf

Cheers guys you've been a massive help, i think that i'll most likely do it in a few months time, i've got a few other things that need attention first, just out of interest where about are you from shaf? I tried to find where you were using the map, etc but couldn't find you?

Many thanks again!

Mike

I take it you only have Xenon on low beam? I was thinking of doing the main beam also, any thoughts?

Xiter,

Yes, only on low beam. The reason given for not having it on main beam was that the ballast unit's require 30,000 volts to ignite the gas in the bulb. This would be impractical on main beam especially when using main beam to flash.

Shaf

How about bulb life in main beam applications? Will it tolerate on/off
driving? I know there is Xenon auxilary light applications meant to use as main beam lights.

I was thinking of a HID upgrade for our "new" A2, I have HID's on my TT, they make night driving a pleasure. Anyway ... I was put off when someone on another forum said you need headlamp washers with HID's, or you'll fail your MOT? :confused:

Factory fitted Xenons must have auto-levelling and headlamp washers fitted to be allowed to be sold legally on a New car in the UK. But with older cars, it's a grey area, and I suspect you'd get away with it MOT-wise with no issue.

In my experience of MOT tests having retro-fitted Xenons to a previous car is that all the tester will ever look at is that both bulbs are of equal brightness, and that the headlamp aim is good.

You could, if you were worried, disconnect the HIDs and plug the original bulbs back in for the MOT visit. Or you could go the full re-engineering route that Mike has done and custom engineered the auto-levelling system and a headlamp washer system into his Xenon retrofit.

Back