hid kits help needed

a2tincan

right guys ive been looking into the hid idea on both tincan(a2) and rustless(90 20v).what do you guys say are the better type to buy.

Don't buy anything made in the far east and try to get a kit with a reputable branded ballast (Denso, Hella, Bosch, Valeo etc).

Also, try to buy a kit from a retail store if possible, so that if things fail (ballasts can go in a couple of weeks if they're the far eastern ones - my first attempts did!) then you can go back to them.

I know that Awesome do a good kit - it's a little pricier than some, but the quality is worth it:

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/store/product.php?xProd=6814

Cheers,

Mike

Strictly speaking, and if you want to comply with the letter of the law, you will need headlamp washers AND automatic self-levelling of the headlamps to ensure that you don't attract any unwanted attention.

I have fitted these to my A2 and it passed the MOT with ease earlier this month. However, many, many people choose to fit these kits without adding the 2 other bits and they get away with it.

Whether you choose to or not is up to you, but what is undisputable is the added performance over halogen bulbs, no matter what type: +50%, +80%, Silvervision etc, they are all completely beaten by genuine xenons.

I now have genuine RS4 bi-xenons fitted to Tank, with projectors and a modded beam shield to give an ultra-sharp cut-off and a nice blue wedge, as opposed to a re-based kit though.

Cheers,

Mike

I've fitted A3 (8L) ones, they just surface mount to the bumper, but you'll still need to fit the larger tank and extra pump and the wiring is a mare as you need to go through the bulkhead, which means dash removal.

Cheers,

Mike

You can get the wiring through the bulkhead with out removing the dash. Just under the glove box theres a rubber grommit

The legal bit is not as straight forward as it might at first appear. Original manufacturers have to jump through so many more hoops than aftermarket suppliers. The most obvious example of this is the dealer fit options for exhausts that the manufacturers can not fit. I believe it would be illegal for manufacturers to fit them without washers and levellers but not as an aftermarket modification.

The main aspects for the MOT (this is the only check to ensure cars are road legal once they have been purchased) are beam spread and cut off - details on the VOSA website.
The MOT also requires that the bulbs are CE marked. Washers are present to ensure that dirt on the lenses does not disort the beam spread/cut off and dazzle ongoing vehicles, it should be bourne in mind that dirt on the lenses applies to "normal" halogen lamps as much as HID ones.

Mike's set up reflects how HID lamps may have been fitted if Audi had ever delivered them on new cars (they were offered and then withdrawn) and represents the ultimate solution to ensure beam spread and cut off are always legal. If you search the site you will see how difficult Mike found it to achieve the clean cut off with the original reflectors.

Given the number of cars running with faulty lights the chances of being pulled for any light offence seems to be negligible. In any case whether HID or halogen the worst that could happen, if you appear to be dazzling other drivers, is an enforcement notice to have them checked and adjusted.

My advice would be to fit them and have them checked at an MOT station for beam spread and cut off before using them on the road.

Cheers

Jonathan

Hi Guys,

As far as I can figure it out, fitting HID lightd (with or without the washers and levelling!) should not affect the cars ability to pass an MOT: those items are not in the MOT testers manual, so not "testable Items".

However, the car would be outside the "Construction and Use" regulations, and it is possible that action could be taken by a police officer. However, I would guess that they would either need to be annoyed with you and looking for something, or having a local problem and be on a specific campaign.

I have run spectacularly bright (and often totally illegal!) lights fo decades, and never had a problem, but been stopped for a duff brake-light a couple of times!

ScotAlan

Back