Hid projector

zeze

Hi, I have a A2 75hp tdi and I'm trying to put some real bi-xenon projectors on the car... I bought a pair of TL projectores(I also have to denso d2s ballast and I'm waiting on 2 philips 4300k bulbs) beacause it's said to be one of the best available. I've been looking at their size and I'm not sure if they will fit, I saw that another person has made the same thing on this forum what I would like to know is if there was any space left space (not sure but I think they were audi A4 projectores...the tl are 2cm(0.8inch) bigger in every way. Also how difficult was it? How do I open the headlight is it safe to put it in the ouven?(what temp?)
Thanks and sorry for the bad english please let me know if there's anything you don't understand.

PS:I've tried an hid kit but it really blinds other people even with the headlights down... also doesn't give much light on the sides only in the center

Hi there, I have done a full xenon projector retrofit (actually bi-xenon) and can confirm that your units will not fit within the housing.

I am lucky in having a pair of headlamps that are not sealed, so opening to work on the internals is easy. I tried the oven and I tried the heat gun, but neither was acceptable with sealed units.

The work is extremely difficult, needing a lot of adjustments and then re-assembly and you must use a cap without an ignitor built in, as anything else is too big to fit.

In short, try to get hold of a pair of non sealed headlamps first, as you'll probably destroy anything else and it won't be useable again.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the quick replay and for the help.Hum you say they won't fit I think the only thing that stands in the way is the plug for the headlight maybe i can mod that so they fit... that means cuting the headlight I know :eek:(I'm going to make them fit no mater what it takes,hehehe;)), also where did you bought your headlamp washers? I've tried ebay but no luck. (they are a3 surface washers right?)

Thanks for the quick replay and for the help.Hum you say they won't fit I think the only thing that stands in the way is the plug for the headlight maybe i can mod that so they fit... that means cuting the headlight I know :eek:(I'm going to make them fit no mater what it takes,hehehe;)), also where did you bought your headlamp washers? I've tried ebay but no luck. (they are a3 surface washers right?)

Correct - they were £12 each from the main dealer. You will also need the tubing, extra washer pump and larger washer bottle, together with a new relay and all the extra wiring.

Then you'll need the self-levelling system!

Be careful when modifying the plug - there's up to 23,000volts running through there at start-up.

Cheers,

Mike

I wasn't going to modify that plug(the xenon) but the one that connects the headlights to the car(not the plug but the housing actually so that they would fit) well they are modified and the projectors now fits. Had to mod the projectors a little too so that they could fit.
I took it for a spin yesterday with no shrouds just to see the output i had everything bad calibrated the only thing I tried to do is point them to the ground so I don't blind people. I have the projectors with 4300k bulbs the light is really white and the projectors have a really nice blue band blows away my xenon kit and the stock headlights. also I think that those big condensers make the car look better. I need to do the shrouds now, calibrate the projectors and start on the headlamp washers and shelf leveling.
I'm going to try to make a home made shelf leveling with two servos and a servo tester I'll have to modify it so that I can adjust how much the servo needs to turn when the car has weight on the back or at the front, if it doesn't work it will only be 10€ so no harm done :)

Back