Home Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaine

Past Member
Has anyone ever considered, or would consider adding some automation to their homes? i.e. lights / heating / AV control via one single control unit?

I have been looking at X10 technology a bit. It uses your current home wiring to send signals to the lights, appliances etc, and by adding some simple code to the controller you can set up various macros, i.e. party lighting or emergency (all lights on) etc.

Would anyone be interested in this, or is it a bit gimmicky (i.e. too American)

Kaine

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk7.htm

Yep, I like the idea.

I have a new Wimpey house (don't get me started on Wimpey, but that's another 10 page story) and the house alarm they offer is made by Visonic, and called the Powermax. It's fairly sophisticated kit-it does a lot more than the manual ever lets on. It phones me when activated, and I can set/unset over the phone.

But the best bit is you can add an X10 module and control lights etc. The control panel will do things like:

Set ON when you want it to
Set OFF when you want it to
Turn lights ON when you disable the alarm
Turn lights ON if the alarm is activated

You get a keyfob to turn the alarm on/off from outside the house and it has a button for one X10 control-so you can wire in an outside light-or even better your electric garage doors.

I don't think this home automation is gimicky at all if it's for security etc. It just goes a bit mad if your perfectley able to shut the curtains, but you would rather press a button from your armchair.

I've also been looking at the security cameras-wireless so I can see the drive. But you can also get ones linked to your PC, and you can then view the camera over the internet. Or even better over a pocket PC with mobile comms. It gets a bit freaky after a while though!!!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I like the idea of the bath which runs itself to your pre-programmed temp. Also, the sound system which goes round the entire house....

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

How does the Yankee thing work with a vacume in the wall-you just plug your hose in (oo-er) around the house. The suction on the thing must be huge. Good idea though.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I've seen this on a UK home programme, looked ideal, but like you say, a potential rat run? It's easy to detach a bag/cyclone to rescue the hamster!

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

Have you got a hamster then, Ade?

I love the idea of an X-10 automated house - but the size of our flat and its secure location militates against my getting that one past the wife. She appreciates the whole-house audio/video thing, though getting B&O kit to successfully coexist with everything else is an ongoing trial...

[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]Mark. (part-time involuntary hamster breeder)
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box
ERW | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

I've got a sound system that goes around the house. It says "mow the lawn, and "clean the cooker", not to mention "clean the windows", and lots more. It also works in the car "you're doing nearly 80", "I don't like the fast lane" "why are we in the Volvo, you know I prefer the Audi" etc. etc. Expensive, but very efficient.

Keep 'em on a lead-one of the ones where you press the button and it drags them back-handy whilst shopping.

A man can never have enough women!!!

ONLY JOKING-my other half will be with me on Sunday so I had better be careful or I could see some blackmail cases here!.

What happened to discussions on home automation?? I shouldn't complain as VBH is a much better of topic discussion than TESCO's ever was. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk7.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back