Honda v Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaine

Past Member
Any opinions/experiences gratefully received.

I am currently looking for a new motor. Pre-req's are approx 20/21k, well specced, estate, relatively low CO2 emissions, liked by the wife. I wont go into the reasoning behind why I have short listed the Toyota Avensis and Honda Accord, however the last of the pre-req's has a lot of influence. (Tried hard to sell the IS200 and Mazda 6 to her, however without success, plus before you ask, the A4 was knocked out based on price v spec)

I am looking at either the Avensis T-Spirit Tourer, or the Accord Type-S Tourer. Have a few days off at the moment, so today I went out to get some test drives. Neither of the dealers had the engine spec I wanted available, so ended up driving a 1.8 Avensis T3-S Tourer and arranging a drive in the 2.4 Accord Type-S Tourer tomorrow.
Very impressed with Honda dealership - they offered to get a car brought over from another dealer this afternoon, for me to test drive at 9:30 tomorrow morning. Whereas Toyota are going to ring me when they have a 2.0ltr T-Spirit available even though I said quite clearly I am deciding within this week - this may be the deal clincher.

First impressions of the 1.8 Avensis were good. Feels very solid, especially the doors which I guess must have been engineered to give that heavy solid feel. Very well specced, quiet inside, and ride was better (IMHO) than the new A4 which I drove a month or so ago. Salesman was a push over, so got to drive where I wanted, and choose some 'normal' UK roads covered in pot holes / repairs etc - very comfortable ride indeed. The only negative things I can say about it was the 1.8ltr engine has no go at all, plus the I'm not 100% sold on the looks yet.
Apart from the normal superb reliability I can expect from Toyota, does anyone have any experiences of the new Avensis?

The Accord is up tomorrow - I'll see how that fairs.

Kaine

Kaine

I won't comment too much on the Avensis-my Corolla ownership problems might cloud what I hear is a very nice car....

But I read that the Accord is the better car-sublime build, spec, ride and comfort. Looks are like the Avensis-a bit different-the Avensis rounded against the angular Accord.

The Avensis is now appearing more and more on the roads (saloon, not estate) and the Accord is fewer (and therefore more exclusive). I would reckon on the Accord holding it's value more IMHO.

You have a difficult choice there!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hi Kaine

I had a final toss up between the Avensis and the A2 (odd choice you may think - but it is a company car and both have good emissions) I also looked at the Mazda 6 (CO2) , A4 (Price v Spec), Passat (Rep mobile, boring), Focus, Scenic RX4, Laguna (CO2).

I drove the 1.8 T3-S Tourer... after one drive I took it back and said...sorry no way. The D4D wasn’t available then and the 2l would be too high in emissions, the 1.8 was... one word gutless... really dangerously gutless. Granted I was getting out of a 200HP T4 Volvo but this was scary. In Oz this size car would come with a V6 in it (Camry/Lexan).

As for ride quality... sloppy.. My wife was carsick within 5 minutes of getting in it. Nice car for say (flame suit on) older people who just want to float their way to where they are going. Serious front-end wash out at roundabouts or tight corners - motorway would be fine... ish. A back road that I drive every day in the Volvo at say... 70-80 was scary at 50 in the Avensis... like pitch off into the bushes scary. I asked if Toyota do a sports suspension pack... no.

I was reaaallly disappointed about the Avensis. I really wanted it for my next car, I like the size, the fact you can get a hatch version and the overall equipment level. For me, it would be a great car if the engine had more power and the suspension was a lot (LOT) better.

Cheers
Rod

Cheers Guys,

Drove the Accord Type-S this morning. Great Car!!! The Avensis is really no competition to it. The advantages of the Type S seem to easily outway the Avensis, except for 2 points. One is, I can't get Sat-Nav fitted in the Accord as OE (I will have to get a bolt on system), and secondly the road noise was higher than in the Avensis. Engine / Road Manners / Looks are all on the Accord's side.

The real decider here seems to be the dealer though. Maybe I am just lucky, however my local Honda dealer seems to really push the boat out to help 'me' decide. They got a car brought over 30miles just for me to test drive, plus without even asking the salesman gave me 5% discount straight away (strange!!!). I am getting the car as a business lease, and the Honda 'in-house' prices are very competitive - I'm just waiting for some alternative quotes now.

Have to decide by Mid-next week though to get the car for Sept.

Kaine

Kaine

Didn't want to cloud your judgement until you had tested the Accord, but the Toyota Owners Club have reported quality issues with the new Avensis, and recently Auto Express picked up an Avensis for a long term test. Problems crept up straight away, including the fuel flap falling off!. I think Toyota are going through what Mercedes did a few years back-a sharp decline in build standards.

Enjoy the Accord-the key fob opening rear hatch is worth it just for that!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

It sounds sad, but I think the auto boot lid is excellent - always liked gadgets like that.

When I was looking around to replace the Punto a couple of months back, I had a look at both these cars. Didn't test drive either though as they were slightly out of my price bracket.

The Avensis looks seem to grow on you but I'm still not too sure about them myself. The accord on the other hand is now one of the best looking saloons on the roads. Not usually a fan of estates but I love the look of this one. Agressive and sleek. As for build quality, the Honda dealer near me is right next to a Mazda dealer. After sitting in the Mazda 6 (quite disapointing & flimsy), the Accord felt bullet proof and almost on a par with the Germans for build quality.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 on order - Ebony Black, Red Leather + many other options.

Accord by a mile, re the much better ride characteristics.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

In a recent CAR test they also said the Avensis 1,8 was extremely strained and sounded like a 1,3 struggling up ahead, floaty handling too...

Accord is a bit he*** like in the rear... look at the gorgeous Laguna Tourer... now that is what an Estate should look like... build maybe not there completely, but they are not known to break down. I know you made your choice as to your options...

The Accord is OK I guess... I just hate those cheezy 80's LCD letters they use for the radio/climatronic... why oh why could they not get nice complete dot matrix ones like Audi/VW etc? It lets the whole dashboard down especially as half the time you can't decipher which radio station you're listening too!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/180225.jpg[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

I don't know how you feel about diesels but the new Accord diesel gets a blinding review. Far better than the VAG unit and even smoother than the ones fitted to BMWs.

It may be Honda's first ever diesel but it does get extremely good reviews... powerful, economical and silent... I'd wait for that in the Estate (and new radio/climatronic fonts before I'd buy one!)

____________________________________________________________________________________
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

Johann - you seem a hard customer to please. I guess you have to look at the fonts since the radio is in front of you, however remember the cool boot mechanism on the estate - surely that makes up for it.

I am extremely hard to please... thus the reason for driving an A2!!! It is (nearly) perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back