How is A2 in winter?

Metro

I'm thinking of buying an a2 tdi 75 hp, but living in Norway, I'm a bit worried about how the A2 will behave in winter-conditions.

Does the low weight and small size mean that the car is hard to control on slippery surface? Also, is the heating on the diesel-model effective when it's minus 15 degrees outside..?

Also, although there are plenty other discussions on the a2 in general, please convince me that buying a 2001 A2 instead of a Golf V really makes sense...

Thanks!

It is not the total weight that is important, it is where the weight is located that is also important. The 1.4 diesel engine is much heavier then the petrol and 1.2 diesel. (about 100 kilos). This extra weight is over the front wheels. This means that a high percentage of the total weight is over the driving wheels. This is good for winter traction, where you want as big a percentage as possible on the driving wheels. That is why 4 wheel drive is best, and front engined cars with rear wheel drive are generally poor. Don't confuse traction with handling, where a 50/50 weight distribution is best. Don't forget the winter tyres. Even 4 wheel drive on slick summer tyres will be going nowhere on snow. Therefore, given good winter tyres (or chains), the diesel A2 at the better end for traction of any 2 wheel drive car.
Better then a Golf V? - Well, it will depend on the engine model. The 4wd models will be best, followed by the diesels followed by the petrols. The smallest petrol engine model will be the worst as this will have the smallest percentage of its weight over the front wheels.

Is the heating any good at -15?
The A2 has a booster in the heater. Later models were electric, while early models used diesel. From memory, on models with climate control, this comes on when the outside temperture goes below 5 (unless disabled by the Economy mode switch). Best of all, some were fitted with heated seats.

A2 or Golf? What do you expect from this Forum? If you can accept that the A2 is a smaller car then the Golf, then go for the A2!!!!
GBMSU

PS If not already fitted, heated door mirrors are easy to fit as the wireing is already in place

Last edited:
Don't forget that small light cars are actually easier to control on ice and hard snow. Change of direction is much easier with less inertia. Always makes me smirk when you see winter TV clips of big (American) 4x4's ploughing straight on in a corner, when the owners think they can drive at normal speeds because they are in a 4x4. :p

The other consideration for your climate is ground clearance for driving over deep snow. It might be my imagination but I think the A2 could be an inch or two higher than a Golf V. Might be worth measuring.

All other things being equal, I would say the A2 is the better car! :)

Hi.
Jossi here. I´ve driven my A2 14 pet for 7 years to minus 29 C .It works great.

Run and buy the A2 NOW!!!

You´ll love it!

2007 mercedes A-class looks old , A2 is a timeless classic : always modern:)

Back