How long can TDI's live for - high mileages??

2a2

Hi all,
New to the a2 game - aquired a good eaxample of 1.6 FSI sport with low miles well looked after - seems cracking car - should have converted yrs ago !
Not to impressed yet on the mpg - get about 36 averaged on a 400mile run after collecting. Is this par for the course ??
Main question is really about diesel engines - How long can well maintained TDI's run for ??
I have a family friend offering me theres with 140k on the clock with full audi serv history and long life servicing to date with no documented problems so far and 2 replaced cambelts at 60k and 120k with full service just recent and nil probs.
Do any of you have experience with long lifers ??
We intend to use for a good 70-80k miles.
Also do the Turbos go on these vehicles b4 the engine ??
I understand all comes down to how looked after and serviced and driven - this is a good example and keen on your opinions.
Many thanx and look fwd 2 hearing your thoughts.

Nick

I asked this same question of a stealer when I bought my 132k mile A4, they told me they still service an A4 with almost 300k on the clock, properly maintained it should go on for ever, you will have to replace some parts, I think injectors and glow plugs and the like as they will wear out or fail eventually but the basic engine is pretty much bomb proof, a friend had his 80 avant tdi go on to 250k before he changed it
Mike

Thanx Tdi Man

Thanx for that - honestly i think its probably a winner - the less u can pay the less u can lose - provided repairs don't start to become a serious issue.
Seems like these cars are bombproof if reg serviced .
Think will probably go for it.
Thanx 4 ur thoughts aqnd interested to hear any others opinions or experiences!!

Thanx ULP - knowledge i have been forwarned with - many thanx!
After discussing with Audi servicing dept in stafford - they note they are seeing an increasingly high number of well over 100k vehicles and some over 200k with frankly no problems at all - this is reasuring. He agrees they are out there and are not coming for sale as owners are generally over the moon with them !
Obvuiously everything has an "end of life" but i get the impression that if well looked after these engines and cars can just keep on ticking over.
On the back of that we have acquired this vehicle and looking to see how long we can keep it alive !!!
Now have a family of A2's !!
Will keep people updated on its progress.
Turns out mileage was 162k pretty much all done going up and down A1 and M1 !!!!! ----- But has every extra conceivable that was an option on these SE cars inc - Pan s/roof, bose concert stereo,alloys, climate + a/c ,cruise, all eleccy windows, heated seats, all leather interior - so chuffed !
Really appreciate your knowledge and comments and will now read up more on these cars!

Nick:D

Last edited:
The 1.4TDI is, of course, 3/4 of the ubiquitous 1.9TDI PD engine.

PD engines work on the pump-duese system of fueling which has the downside of being noisier than common-rail units and not as efficient, but it is cheaper to produce and lasts longer.

Not sure about the inferior efficiency or the cheapness. PD works at higher pressure than CR and therefore gives better atomisation. PD has one pump per cylinder whereas CR has only one. Which system was used by the most fuel efficient four-seater car yet made? CR is more flexible though because it is not tied to the camshaft.

RAB

OK, but it's a bit iffy basing a comparison on one example of each. If CR was better in 1999 why didn't VW use it for the 3L? According to this article, in 1999 the 3L engine had the highest efficiency of any engine of it's type:

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/printer_319.shtml

VAG only gave up on PD because they could no longer meet emissions standards because of it's lack of flexibility. PD was never the cheaper system though. A blind alley perhaps but at the time....

Last edited by a moderator:
There weren't that many VAG superminis either - PD was not introduced until 1998. The 3L was one of the first, if you can call it a supermini (hardly!). One advantage of PD (then) was that the pressure was much higher (2x?) than for CR. It was also safer as there were no high pressure lines. VW didn't use it because it was cheap (it wasn't), they had no alternative, as you admit.

On price, have you ever bought a high-pressure pump for a diesel? PD has one per cylinder instead of one total.

The problem with PD is that it just 'chucks' fuel into the cylinders and hopes for the best - high pressures are meaningless because they are not efficiently controllable. The common rail also directs fuels to each cylinder so is no less flexible than four PD units on a typical 4-pot engine.

Not quite true! If it was, there would be no point in 'upgrading' or modifying the ECU, something that a few people on this site have done, I suspect.

PD engines work on the pump-duese system of fueling which has the downside of being noisier than common-rail units and not as efficient, but it is cheaper to produce and lasts longer.

Don't make the mistake of judging the PD engine by it's installation in the A2. The same engine (exactly, 1.2Tdi) is much, much quieter in the Lupo, presumably due to the predominantly steel construction. Incidentally VW are also much better at making dipsticks!

So you admit that PD was the only option for the 3L, which is a bit at odds with:

The capabilities of the 3L Lupo and A2 are more down to the supporting technology rather than the PD engines being central to the acheivements.

This article

http://www.dieselforecast.com/ArticleDetails.php?articleID=282

suggests that, even now (or until recently), VAG consider(ed) PD to be superior to CR:

Paul Buckett, Head of Press and Public Relations for Volkswagen UK, commented: “While unit injector technology has certain technical advantages, including the possibility of higher maximum injector pressures, the introduction of piezo-controlled injection has brought common rail systems closer to unit injector on overall power, fuel efficiency and emissions. A further factor is the reduced cost that comes from eventually going to a single diesel injection system across all Volkswagen products.”

Now you are taking the mick.

Certainly not!

Perhaps if you actually read my posts you'd see why.
I have!

PD technology worked very well in the ultra-economical VAG products but this doesn't mean the PD technology was the fundamental element that couldn't be matched or recreated by other technology.

In 1998/9 PD couldn't be matched! CR did match it eventually.

I'm glad you feel the need to be ultra-defensive about the technology, but I prefer to have an open mind about the possibilites and limitations, just like I have illustrated with CR.

Ultra defensive? No more than you. Flexible you certainly are though:

"The capabilities of the 3L Lupo and A2 are more down to the supporting technology rather than the PD engines being central to the acheivements."

And then:
PD technology worked very well in the ultra-economical VAG products but this doesn't mean the PD technology was the fundamental element that couldn't be matched or recreated by other technology.

If CR was that good why didn't VAG adopt it earlier? VHS virtually replaced Betamax but that doesn't mean it was better. It wasn't! Perhaps we should leave the last word to VW: "the introduction of piezo-controlled injection has brought common rail systems closer to unit injector on overall power, fuel efficiency and emissions.". After all they should know!

We're just friendly, easy-going, non-competitive types!

Hi 2a2

Just to let you know our A2 1.6 FSI is doing an avrage 30.6mpg when i drive it when my wife drives it she gets 35.4mpg.
They arn't the best on fuel

Colin

Does TDI mean Trivial Dispute on the Internet?

If so, it would appear that they can go on for considerably more mileage than almost anyone had hoped.... ;)
If either CR or PD manage to outlive this thread it'll be a victory for all.

Back