how long does a 1.4 tdi last when its chipped?

407bug

how long does a tdi engine last?

I am trying to post a new thread?!!!
but am new to this

does anyone know how long the 1.4 tdi engine lasts before it goes bang?
as i have just clocked 69000 miles and kinda hope it will do 200,000 or more
as im still paying for it!!!!!
It runs a £800 miltec exhaust( already fitted when i got it) and amd chip and can just about keep up with my friends renault clio 172.... so its not that slow !

so its running the development chip for the 90bhp version (i think)
and returns about 48-50 to the gallon (42-46 round london traffic)
;)
any one else got one of these !?
does anyone get 60mpg realy with a standard one? where your not blowing on the acelerator to make it move!

how long does a standard tdi engine last for?

how long does a 90bhp amd chipped engine last for, any ideas?

p.s sorry if i put my first thread in the wrong place?!:confused:

Welcome to the forumn 407bug NO Worries mate have move the thread
should get more answers here ......Thats a great combination you have there
would love to give that a whirl ..........

Hi 407bug and welcome to the forums.

Don't worry about the first post - it was a good excuse to test out some of the forum features - splitting and merging posts... (and wooly - didn't see you there!)

Not sure about lifespan - I would have thought 150K should be achievable.

Ben

ben said:
Hi 407bug and welcome to the forums.

Don't worry about the first post - it was a good excuse to test out some of the forum features - splitting and merging posts... (and wooly - didn't see you there!)

Not sure about lifespan - I would have thought 150K should be achievable.

Ben
HI 407bug I Should not worry to much i was worried about my A2 as when i bought it it had 66,000 on the clock and i have been told as long as you
keep up on the oil changes the engine will last for ever ...My Neigbour has an
M reg A4 1.9tdi and that is pushing 200,000 and he has no intention of parting with it just yet .......

Ben i did spot bugs post in the wrong place and i thought i had actually diverted it but you must have beaten me to it il have to be
quicker next time LOL !!!!!

how long does the tdi last?

well, I'm just approaching 90,000 miles from new, coming up to the 3rd service... car feels pretty much like it did 3 years ago!

I reckon 200k is easily achieveable

bba

bye_bye_alfa said:
well, I'm just approaching 90,000 miles from new, coming up to the 3rd service... car feels pretty much like it did 3 years ago!

I reckon 200k is easily achieveable
bba
Thanks bba thats very reasuring to know .......

I'd say the only time you'll ever see 60mpg maintained on a TDi 90 is on the motorway/A-road - i.e an uninterrupted journey.

I managed 65mpg in my TDi 75 to Plymouth and back, including some roadworks crawling and around town stuff - but that was 99% of the trip was 300 miles of motorway.

I would be more mindful of the increased stresses on the drivetrain to be honest - you will reduce the lifetime of the gearbox especially - as for the engine - it won't just go pop suddenly - engines don't especially tend to do this. Bore and ring wear will just mean a slow loss of compression - and the bottom end will wear likewise - it's only when you push tired worn out engines too far they end up throwing a rod etc.

20% more power won't mean the lifetime is seriously shortened imo - if the little 3 pot is anything like it's bigger brother you should have no concerns - but like I said, there may be other weaker links that could let go a lot sooner.

forgot to mention

I also get 60mpg!

This is because I drive like a grandad on the motorway, I also have cruise, but I don't think the cruise makes a lot of difference as, I haven't had it long.

bba

I am getting around 50 mpg from my 1.4 petrol I must be driving like a great grandad. I have the smaller tank so only getting around 280 miles to the tank (I always fill up when the light comes on) and can only get 6 gallons in. Any one else getting that sort of mileage from a 1.4 petrol

when I had my A2 1.4tdi, we used to get anything between 56 - 60mpg on any decent run - steady driving, but grandads in sight - honest!!

Just to help you guys feel good, I know get around 28mpg; plus my tank is 100litres, so filling up costs around £94 - works out at about 600 miles range.

I miss my A2

Kaine

Kaine said:
when I had my A2 1.4tdi, we used to get anything between 56 - 60mpg on any decent run - steady driving, but grandads in sight - honest!!

Just to help you guys feel good, I know get around 28mpg; plus my tank is 100litres, so filling up costs around £94 - works out at about 600 miles range.

I miss my A2

Kaine
Wow kaine
how do you sleep at night knowing your chucking that fuel down the can LOL !!!!

Don't see the gearbox going bang with a tuned engine. It was also used with more powerful 1.6FSi engines. I realise that it is torque that normally kills a gearbox and the five speed was widely used in many VAG cars with more torque than a tuned A2 TDi.

I see it all the time :) - and the basic truth of the matter applies universally whenever you tune an engine - longevity is reduced.

in the 'chip tuning' business, because of the generally small increases involved, there is usually plenty of safety margin that can be traded off.

but the bottom line is the candle is burning brighter - the question is how much longer it'll burn for.

in cases like this, with generally low mileage cars, well maintained, good history - it's probably not worth getting stressed over - unless you intend to keep the car for another 100k miles and still expect perfect reliability.

Audi and VW offer 12y/300.000km maintenance contracts for all their models. So it is built to last 300.000km or 186500 mi.

Our 1.4 Petrol is the most expensive of our two cars to run - probably doing 35-40mpg against the Honda's 50ish (best was 55 and worst 46, achieves 48mpg at steady 135kph (hows that for mixed units)). My son struggles to get 50 out of a 1.0 Corsa!

Just shows that you can have big and economical or small and thirsty!

i am amazed you get 60mpg

ok mine got a amd chip but i drove to cortnwall at under 70mph and only got 55mpg and was using so little pressure on my foot it was almost painful to achieve!

for all the other replies mines now done 69500 ish miles and about 6 trillion gearchanges as I do alot of london work, my gearbox can be a bit notchy when do they change the gearbox oil ?

and how do you clean light grey seats anyone? :eek:

i don't know how long it lasts when it's chipped, but mine is still going strong with 160000 km and i put every month 4000km on the clock

Back