Imola yellow owners - advice needed

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Have any of you managed to find a source for a paint touch up kit that’s of decent quality and match?

All the ones I can find on eBay look cheap and nasty and their feedback isn’t good at all.

Have any of you managed to find a source for a paint touch up kit that’s of decent quality and match?

All the ones I can find on eBay look cheap and nasty and their feedback isn’t good at all.

The problem is that the colour isn’t the same as it left the factory it changes due to ageing, this was the best I found but you really need to shake it to an inch of its life to get the best match and it splits in the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touch-up kit? What bodgery is this?... I thought your normal solution was to strip the car down to ground zero and get it resprayed top to bottom! ;)

The problem is that the colour isn’t the same as it left the factory it changes due to ageing, this was the best I found but you really need to shake it to an inch of its life to get the best match and it splits in the bottle.

Thanks Ed, just ordered.

Touch-up kit? What bodgery is this?... I thought your normal solution was to strip the car down to ground zero and get it resprayed top to bottom! ;)
Ahh the days when I had the time to do such things, 3 kids, 2 jobs and grandparents to care for means those days are gone 😂

The bodywork is great on it though, just a couple of touch ups to do.

In 1996 I had a brand new Fiat Cinquecento Sporting in Broom Yellow that at 4 months old had the miss fortune of being hit whilst parked, needing a new osf wing, needless to say it went back to the paint shop 4 times due to bad colour match. It looked ok in daylight but under streetlights it stood out like a sore thumb. I was told yellow is the worst colour to try to match, so good luck and enjoy being back in an A2

In 1996 I had a brand new Fiat Cinquecento Sporting in Broom Yellow that at 4 months old had the miss fortune of being hit whilst parked, needing a new osf wing, needless to say it went back to the paint shop 4 times due to bad colour match. It looked ok in daylight but under streetlights it stood out like a sore thumb. I was told yellow is the worst colour to try to match, so good luck and enjoy being back in an A2

A lot of paint shops won’t do any work in yellow, but if you ever need it off the shelf colours can’t really be used, but require a colour match using a very expensive device, can be done with the paint supplier, also on the a2 the plastics such as wings and bumper discolour at a different rate to the alu parts.

How about ordering that colour in a spray can, Halfords have that service as well, and spary a bit of it in a cup and use a soft thin brush to apply? Of course colors do change overtime due UV and other factors, but that might worth a try.

Here in Slovenia we have a specialized paint shop that you get them a part of car the in the paint that you want and they prepare the matched colour.

That was a seicento not cinquecento. Not sure Mr Schumacher ever had one, but I do know Mr Clarkson had a yellow cinquecento.
As did I, with a full Arbarth body kit. It went to middle Barton garage and had a fantastic suspension set up put on it. Handled beautifully tbf. An ideal first car

Reactions: RZX
A couple of things:
The problem is that the colour isn’t the same as it left the factory it changes due to ageing
... so the 20 year old official touch up paint and lacquer that I still have in the glovebox won't be any good, then. :(

also on the a2 the plastics such as wings and bumper discolour at a different rate to the alu parts.
Actually, they sometimes start off a different colour. One of the wings on mine was very slightly off, and when I mentioned it, the salesman said "yeah, we had a TT that was like that as well." Brand new. No miles.

A couple of things:

... so the 20 year old official touch up paint and lacquer that I still have in the glovebox won't be any good, then. :(

Actually, they sometimes start off a different colour. One of the wings on mine was very slightly off, and when I mentioned it, the salesman said "yeah, we had a TT that was like that as well." Brand new. No miles.

Do you have an issue where by the vent on the bonnet is a different shade to the bonnet? Both mine are like this, and a2 sumos car was also.

Sorry, nothing I can add here. But at least I now I have an explanation for why all the previous owners' touch-ups over the years are so visible on my Storm :) I think my bonnet vent is affected by the differing dicolouration rates too.

I purchased some yellow paint for my Saab convertible, a great match for touchup. Will get the name to you later. A little pricy, but I bought a kit and keep it in Saab. So very happy with purchase👍

Hi Steve, I have always had good results using this company on ebay for touch up. For spray cans I get them custom mixed in Ponty.

The issue with the yellow is it fades at different rates depending on how much UV exposure it has, so much so that by now the chances of two panels being the same colour is pretty low let alone getting touch up to be "universal". What about your body guy can he custom mix small quantities for the areas you need?

Hi Steve, I have always had good results using this company on ebay for touch up. For spray cans I get them custom mixed in Ponty.

The issue with the yellow is it fades at different rates depending on how much UV exposure it has, so much so that by now the chances of two panels being the same colour is pretty low let alone getting touch up to be "universal". What about your body guy can he custom mix small quantities for the areas you need?
There’s very few areas that need touching up. It’s mainly just the door edges etc. I’ve ordered the one mentioned by Ed above and will see how it goes. Auto parts in Ponty are very good at matching paint 👍

Last edited:
How about ordering that colour in a spray can, Halfords have that service as well, and spary a bit of it in a cup and use a soft thin brush to apply? Of course colors do change overtime due UV and other factors, but that might worth a try.
I do that as well but using the official Audi paint can (usually comes in a pack with clear). One has to be reasonably quick before the paint dries but I always found the touch up paints too thick so two thin coats using the spray and brush I find better.

Back