Impact of new tyres on mpg?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I replaced my worn Pilot Primacy Michelins 185/50/16 18V with Pirrelli P6000 Powergy 185/50/16V on 24 November.

I'v noticed a drop in fuel consumption now. Of course there may be other factors like the weather and driving on headlights more. The google spreadsheet below calculates from Feb 2005 and 1 Jan 2007 and shows a 0.5 mpg drop. But calculations since fitting the tyres in Nov show a 2 mpg drop.

Does anyone know or has calculated the difference new tyres will make?

Hi Alan
The Auto Express tyre test showed that Michelin (Primacy) had the lowest rolling resistance and Pirelli (P7)the highest out of 16 brands.
This is pure speculation but say a set of Michelins absorb 4 bhp on average, then the Pirellis would absorb about 5 bhp. That extra 1 bhp of wasted energy could easily equate to a 2% drop in fuel consumption. Don't forget the cost savings in buying the Pirellis will buy an awful lot of fuel.

Cheers Spike

The Auto Express tyre test showed that Michelin (Primacy) had the lowest rolling resistance and Pirelli (P7)the highest out of 16 brands.

Many thanks Mike. I would take the article as good science if it wasn't for the fact that they state the Pirellis and Michelins have almost identical noise when I know that the Pirellis on my A2 are much much quieter than the Michelins. Half as quiet I would guess. So not ending up with a headache on a long drive will be well worth the slight extra fuel consumption. Maybe it depends which model of tyres they compared.

Money didn't come into it. The Pirellis were available, nothing else was, full stop.

Last edited:
Kumho look good.. I almost converted all my tires to kumho just the one left to replace :)

Pirelli P6000

Don't forget that the Auto Express article looked at the Pirelli P7 and not the Pirelli P6000. It would NOT be wise to assume the two models, even from the same manufacturer will give the same results.

Back