In cab blowers

Taake

Hi all.

Yesterday my blowers packed up. Had a quick look at the forums here and followed some advice. Checked fuse, that's ok, removed glovebox and checked connection to blower unit, removed it and re-connected it. Still no joy unfortunately. Am I right in thinking that it is most likely a fan unit failure and to replace that I need to remove the entire dash??
Mine is a non air con car.

No need to remove the whole dash, just the glovebox. Its a little tricky to do, but certainly doable.

Hi all.

Yesterday my blowers packed up. Had a quick look at the forums here and followed some advice. Checked fuse, that's ok, removed glovebox and checked connection to blower unit, removed it and re-connected it. Still no joy unfortunately. Am I right in thinking that it is most likely a fan unit failure and to replace that I need to remove the entire dash??
Mine is a non air con car.
Bit of a far shot, but have you scanned the ccu for fault codes?

Bit of a far shot, but have you scanned the ccu for fault codes?
If you feel like removing the blower again, check it is free to rotate, and test it with 12 volts direct, if you can. If it still does not rotate with 12 volts, then is is, most likely duff.
Mac.

Remove the cabin air filter and reach into the blower with a long thin object. Carefully try to rotate the "hamsters wheel" if it does rotate then remove the tool and switch on the ignition and try the blower. It it now works you have bearings that are seizing up that either need cleaning or replace the blower, also if it will not rotate the bearings are far worse and again clean or replace the unit.
If it will rotate but does not rotate under power then disconnect the power and supply the fan directly with 12v if it now freely spins it is looking likely the resistor pack as failed ( that is what controls the fan speed ) and can be replaced on its own.

If you feel like removing the blower again, check it is free to rotate, and test it with 12 volts direct, if you can. If it still does not rotate with 12 volts, then is is, most likely duff.
Ma

Remove the cabin air filter and reach into the blower with a long thin object. Carefully try to rotate the "hamsters wheel" if it does rotate then remove the tool and switch on the ignition and try the blower. It it now works you have bearings that are seizing up that either need cleaning or replace the blower, also if it will not rotate the bearings are far worse and again clean or replace the unit.
If it will rotate but does not rotate under power then disconnect the power and supply the fan directly with 12v if it now freely spins it is looking likely the resistor pack as failed ( that is what controls the fan speed ) and can be replaced on its own.
Thanks I will give this a try as soon as I'm able. Not great with these things so just a couple of questions in your points. Where do I find the cabin air filter, and how do i supply a direct 12v feed? Is there a tool for that?

Thanks I will give this a try as soon as I'm able. Not great with these things so just a couple of questions in your points. Where do I find the cabin air filter, and how do i supply a direct 12v feed? Is there a tool for that?
Probably best to ignore my suggestion to apply 12 volts direct, if you aren't comfortable with electrics. Stick with @audifan hints.
Mac.

Reactions: mtl
Hi, I do have an OBD reader...it doesnt work on my A2 for some reason, but it works just fine on my Mazda :/
This is the best cheap code reader, prices been going up a bit, but still worth it. This can even adapt throttle body and egr, most code reader cost £100 can't do that.

In the past on other vag vehicles of the same vintage i have replaced the worn brushes for around £12.
Fan should work on speed 4 without resistor plugged in or resistor kaput (blown fuse in resistor) on non a/c cars a believe (based on my dads 2001 sharan) but not sure if this is the case for a/c vehicles.

Your issue could also be the cabin/pollen filter is blocked solid and has placed extra strain on the motor and so must be replaced as part of the repair!

In the past on other vag vehicles of the same vintage i have replaced the worn brushes for around £12.
Fan should work on speed 4 without resistor plugged in or resistor kaput (blown fuse in resistor) on non a/c cars a believe (based on my dads 2001 sharan) but not sure if this is the case for a/c vehicles.

Your issue could also be the cabin/pollen filter is blocked solid and has placed extra strain on the motor and so must be replaced as part of the repair!
Thanks. I need to take a proper look at it when I can so I'll take a look at the filter also. Use this car as my daily commuter and it's not a huge problem at the moment, but itll be one once it starts getting colder.

Forgot to say for the cabin air (pollen) filter look at post 7 in Sarges guide...

Just cover the passenger footwell with a big black bag to catch any rubbish that falls out.

Hi I followed this advice, and although i couldn't test the supply with a 12v feed (don't have the tool) I've come to the conclusion it must be the resistor. The "hamster wheel" rotates freely and without resistance by hand, it just wont do so under power. Do you have advice on changing the related resistor? Thanks

From the manual...

Very fiddly but that is out, part ordered so 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Thank you for all the help so far 🙏🏻

Attachments

• 20220803_123722.jpg
    20220803_123722.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
New resistor came nice and early so I got that in. Unfortunately still no blowers so back to the drawing board on this one 😩😩😩

New resistor came nice and early so I got that in. Unfortunately still no blowers so back to the drawing board on this one
You need to measure the voltage at the motor and resistor. That requires a multi meter. Maybe enquire with friends or colleagues, or buy one on ebay. Accuracy is not important, but need to know why it doesn't run. Is it lack of volts, or a duff motor.
Mac.

You have checked that fuse 16 is not blown? This is the fuse for the blower motor. Best to check with a meter, if you do not have a meter replace the fuse with a known good one.

I did check the fuse. That said the layout of my fusebox looks different to that in the manual slightly, but I did check them all individually yesterday and they all looked fine. Won't hurt to double check though

Audi being German the manual is written for LHD cars. The fuse box in RHD cars is rotated 180 degrees. The fuses are still the same number but you read the fuses bottom right to top left. Top left to bottom right is for LHD cars.

Get yourself a meter you really need it for electrical work.

Back