Is an A2 able to tow a caravan?

SirTrevor

Having a dilemma in ST towers. Our rav4 is near its end and it used to pull our old and heavy caravan. Since there's only 3 of us in the family + dogs etc. I would like to downgrade the petrol guzzling rav4 and convert the A2 to have a tow bar.
Could I put a tow bar and pull a very light caravan?
Has anybody had any experience with this?
Is it more realistic to look for another car to do the pulling?
Your comments would be most welcome!
ST

You can only put in an audi tow bar. Speaking from experience only some dealerships will actually fit it. Mine cost around the £600 mark and took 2-3 technicians all day - as they have to remove a lot of the rear of the car.

I use it for motorbike trailers and 8x4 box trailer towing. It's fine for that, but it is very noticable when you are using the box and it is half full. Or If I have to take 3 bikes on the trailer.

Give it a try - but remember you towing weights rules :)

Thanks for the information.
I'll have a look at the foreign caravans from your links.
We don't need a toilet and enjoy being cosy together!
Regarding the motorhome...I'd love one but zero funds!
As ever the help on here is second to none,
thanks

Wow, now that's more like it. If only the A2 was pure aluminium without the paint then we'd have a perfect match. I imagine these are going to be quite expensive and difficult to find any second hand. But at least I have some options to look out for.
ST

Wow, now that's more like it. ST

I think the shape of those doesn't match the A2. Try a renovated vintage Airstream. There is a German company that imports them, renovates and adapts to the European market.

http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?h...4u.de/airstream-4-u.html&prev=/language_tools

You will need to look for the smaller ones, like the 16' Bubble
http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?h...r_sale_detail.php?id=158&prev=/language_tools
Dry (unladen?) weight 550 Kg

Or a 16' Bambi (unpolished?)
http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?h...r_sale_detail.php?id=242&prev=/language_tools
Net weight 1000kg

Towing With An A2 With Air Conditioning

Dear all

Does anyone know why Audi specify that an A2 must have air conditioning to have a tow bar fitted. Is it assumed that towing will cause the engine to heat up more than normal and that the cooling of the engine is related to the cooling/conditioning of the interior air somehow?

Also I don't understand why a A2, which I had assumed did not have air conditioning, has an 'econ' button?

Dear all

Does anyone know why Audi specify that an A2 must have air conditioning to have a tow bar fitted. Is it assumed that towing will cause the engine to heat up more than normal and that the cooling of the engine is related to the cooling/conditioning of the interior air somehow?

Also I don't understand why a A2, which I had assumed did not have air conditioning, has an 'econ' button?

I think that you'll find that it is to do with increased cooling system capacity, which obviously helps with the increased heat generated through additional work when towing.

Personally, I'd like to see an A2 towing one of these!!!!
http://basecamp.airstream.com/product/index.html

Thanks for the reply but how is the cooling system capacity increased with the air conditioning - aren't the two systems independent of each other?
Regards

Hi Ian
Cars with aircon have a larger radiator and a more powerful fan with a different control unit - I think the fan runs at low speed all the time the aircon is on with the speed increasing as things get hotter. I don't think the cooling pack spec is straight forward as diesels seem to have the larger radiator even if they don't have aircon.
As you say, the two systems are independent but the aircon 'radiator' sits in front of the water radiator and increases the temperature of the air passing through it.
What are you planning to tow? If its only a small trailer the cooling system (without aircon) should handle it easily.

Cheers Spike

I've never come across a requirement from Audi to have climate fitted where a towbar is specified - usually they are very hot on this sort of thing and it is mentioned in the pricing guides.

For instance, when the Symphony2 is specc'ed, you must also specify climate, and similarly, you must get a 13 pin to 7 pin adapter when a towbar is ordered.

Cheers,

Mike

Curiouser and curiouser!

The manual also says you can't have Bose if you have the towbar. The ONLY reason for this is that the Bose-supplied tool carrier under the drivers footwell panel doesn't contain a place for the removeable head and towball unit.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the trailer socket, there is no reason, electrically speaking, why the climate system is needed, so it must be entirely down to increased loads on the engine and cooling system.

Cheers,

Mike

Back