Is my usual servicing any good for the A2

Hi Peeps!

Whatever car I have owned being a diesel or petrol I have serviced it every 4000 miles, then a cambelt and water pump change every 30,000 miles. I know certain car manufactures vary.

Each time I service the car I change the oil, oil filter, sump plug washer, air filter, fuel filter, glow\spark plugs, and HT leads on petrol cars. So every 4K miles I do that type of service to my cars.

Is this OK for the A2 TDI? Is there anything else I should be renewing every time I service the car.

I renew the anti-freeze every 2 years.

Please bear in mind I have never owned a VAG car before and have seen posts about different types of servicing levels with these cars, i.e. longlife, etc.

if its a long life service its suppose to be 30,000 miles or 2 years i think, if you put a K&N air filter in you only have to clean that every yr, i've done my oil and filter twice since owning it and thats only 16k in nearly 2 yrs, the cambelt (+water pump) at 60k i did mine at 56k when i got the car

Cheers Phil

you fit new glow plugs every 4k?

Ht leads should last ages more than that too.

I would save that money and buy better spec oil and use genuine items.

Im using Long life oil but get it serviced every year due to the local recommedation of the Independant Audi man here in Inverness.
He gets a few failures of engines and its always long life services interval cars.
Hes old school and doesnt believe any oil can last 30,000 miles,I trust him 100% so will of course go with his choices.

Last edited:
If you are the cautious type, use the longlife-spec oil, but change it every 12 months - there is absolutely no need to do this as regularly as every 4000 miles though.

All you need to do is the oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter - don't touch the plugs or the leads - they really don't need it.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks guys for the advice. That should lighten the load on my wallet.

I used to have an old diesel peugeot, and I found that a week or two just after changing the oil and filters the car would not fire up correctly, so I changed the glow plugs and the car started first time and lovely!! Ever since then I bought new glow plugs every time I serviced the car.

The as for the petrol cars I owned I used Kerr Nelson high performance leads and to be honest I just changed them every two years.

I'm still getting to know the A2 and thank you all for your patience :) Just found out about the webasto heater. Thought it was the turbo cooling off.

The only things I can see missing from your list are the pollen filter and brake fluid and the wiper blade (which only lasts about a year on my car)
It's also critical to use the correct spec oil which is now VW 507.00. Castrol Edge 5W30 is one of the easiest to get hold of.

Cheers Spike

Pollen filters I regard as a 'comfort' option and there are 2 choices, charcoal or plain (the charcoal version stops nasty niffs for a while).

The brake fluid should be changed every 2 years really.

Cheers,

Mike

Back