Is this an original or modified ARB (pictures enclosed)

Cliveski

Hi there,
I have a knocking sound from the front right which I believe could be the droplink. I know the ARB and ARB Bushes can cause problems too - can you tell me if I have an original ARB or modified one from these picture? thank you.

offsidearbandarbbush.jpg

nearsidearbandarbbush.jpg

Car is a year 2000

I'd guess its an old roll bar which has had the plastic sleeve removed and small bore Polo bushes fitted. This can work fine but as there is no sideways location, in time, the roll bar may move in the bushes and knock against the subframe.
The attached pic shows the old (with shouldered plastic sleeve) and new (with metal retaining washer) style roll bars. In your pic there is no sign of either a plastic or metal retainer butting up against the face of the bush.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1062&d=1193224856

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike, I did see that photo or a similar one when I was searching but mine didn't seem to match either so asked the question.
I reckon you have hit the nail on the head there though :) thanks.

Why are there not more photo's on this site? lol

Last edited:
I thought I would update this thread to confirm it was indeed an original ARB I have with polo bushes fitted.
I just changed the drop links and put some new polo bushes on the ARB.
Interstingly I have plastic collars on the ARB but they are not under the bushes they are on the inside (towards the centre of the car) I guess in an attempt to stop the bar moving sideways?
Can't quite understand if they were the original plastic collars moved towards the centre or somehow some new plastic collars were fitted?

Knocking has gone which is the main thing - long may it continue!

Back