Is this TDi genuine?

murdo

Admin Team
Scotland
Hello all.:) Most regular members will know I'm on the lookout for an A2 TDi! Theres a car for sale on Autotrader in Glasgow ( just 30 miles from me) its an 04 (54) plate SE with 38k and FSH. None of the toys I want but a maybe? My concern is that the photo on the Autotrader website shows a smooth front grille and standard windscreen wiper. Was this still available post September 2004? :confused:Some advice from the wise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Don't worry about the smooth grille - some people (me included) retro-fit it. Never heard of an original wiper being fitted though.

Simple way to tell if you go to see it is to look at the VIN in the windscreen:

It'll start 'WAUZZZ8Z??N??????'

The second ? (i.e. the one immediately before the N) is the model year, so a 2 would be a 2002 car and a 5 would be a 2005.

This refers to the model year though, not the year of registration, so a 2002 model year car could feasibly have been registered as early as August 2001.

Cheers,

Mike

Might be a library 'photo but if it hasn't got any of the spec you are looking for I would hang on. I know well specced A2's aren't easy to find but you will find the law of sodt coming into effect the week after you buy it!

Could be an older car that sat in stock and got registered later.

I'm assuming it's BC Sales? ... looks like someone who sells cars from his house, never my favourite kind of trader. These guys pick stuff up at auction, polish it, and add a few grand to the price. Personally I'd rather buy from a proper garage, or a bona fide private seller.

there was a right dodgy one on ebay a while back it was a earlier model but imported with a newer plate on it,I think that one was silver.

Could be an older car that sat in stock and got registered later.

I'm assuming it's BC Sales? ... looks like someone who sells cars from his house, never my favourite kind of trader. These guys pick stuff up at auction, polish it, and add a few grand to the price. Personally I'd rather buy from a proper garage, or a bona fide private seller.

Yes John its BC sales. If its a genuine 38k one owner car, this A2 remains tempting, and a short drive to cast an eye over. Funnily enough the guy was at an auction when I called him!
Will apply skiptons VIN advice to it anyway. Thanks Mike!
Dont think this will be 'the one' but its worth a look.

Last edited:
It is not just 'sheepskin' coat type traders who use auctions to purchase, you might be surprised at how many cars even prestige dealers can buy in from auctions. I have bought quite a few cars myself at auction and it is just as reliable and risky as any method or source of buying with a bonus of potential savings. After all someone in business selling cars is in business to make that dirty word called profit, they are not a charity. We all have a choice as buyers and even Audi dealers are in it for the money. No, i am not in the trade but used to have various relatives selling for numerous brands including VW, Skoda, Seat and Audi over the years and the tales of stunts pulled by customers when trading cars in would fill a book. Sorry Murdo, this is not intended to hijack the thread or have a go at you but some of the comments above riled me!

No offence intended or taken! Although my apologies for using a stereotype. I'm a kilt wearing, haggis eating, whisky swilling, arguementative jock after all ;) And my best mate is a trader - we have loads of 'car salesman' banter!
Seriously though, I did not take to this lads manner during our phone callls, therefore I'm not pursuing this particular car!

Last edited:
No problem! I am a half Scot and have many kilt wearing, haggis eating etc relatives and spend much of my holiday time in the highlands ( just had a wonderful weeks weather when staying with my sister near Inverness last month!).

Good luck with your A2 search, it will be worth waiting to get the 'right' car even if you have to travel.

Still searching!

Well, I just couldnt help it! As it was so nearby I took a peek at this car. First impression - a very very nice A2 and met all my exacting standards and the checks i've picked up from this fab forum. Only minor points were wheels needing a refurb due to oxidation and flaking, an aftermarket Sony head unit instead of original and an old style wiper had replaced the original aero type.

Sadly, the Service Book and Wallet was lost, and a call to Audi resulted in no service records to verify the 38k mileage, just records of minor warranty work and recalls and an HPi shows outstanding finance with VAG UK. Even though the car looks very honest and genuine, and I'm sure it is - I have walked away because the paperwork isnt there to support what I see. There's a better one coming along soon anyway! :)

Sadly, the Service Book and Wallet was lost, and a call to Audi resulted in no service records to verify the 38k mileage, just records of minor warranty work and recalls and an HPi shows outstanding finance with VAG UK. Even though the car looks very honest and genuine, and I'm sure it is - I have walked away because the paperwork isnt there to support what I see. There's a better one coming along soon anyway! :)

Very wise, any so called trader selling a car at full monty without all the paperwork should be well and truly avoided.

Back