Just drove an A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Ambiente!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiv

And a good morning to you all!

Wow. Yesterday my dealer/salesperson called me to ask me a really strange question. Well, sort of.
He wondered if I was willing to lend them my car for a day, in order for a new customer to get a feel of what a chiptuned A2 Tdi is like!
Not something I might easily consider if I owned my car privately. But being a leasecar and all, and understanding that I would have died for a similar experience before getting my own tuned, I decided to give them a chance...

But what a good bargain! Besides the fact that they'll give my car a good valet service (which it really really needed), they gave me a spanking brand new (1000 km) A3 Sportback, with the great 140 bhp 2.0 TDI. Better still: it's an Ambiente, so lovely 17" wheels, sport suspension, sport seats, dual zone climate and all. No xenon and no DSG however, but who cares. It's a dark dolphin grey, which must be my fav A3 colour!

So I drove this stunningly beautifuyl car (ok, it can't ever touch a Honda Accord Tourer ;)) to my work, all 55km of it. All kinds of traffic and of course my own route to work, so I know it very well.

First impressions:
- typically tasteful interior. Complete with the annoying rattle they all seem to inherit. Very good. I like the low seating position. Rear visibily is something I need to get used to.
- adequate space in the back and boot, but nothing to be really excited about. I find my A2 to be more comfortable when seated behind my own seat (which is set back quite a bit).
- engine: QUIET! Very smooth. Hardly sounds like diesel, let alone like the 3-cyl A2. Clutch works a treat, way better than my A2. Six gears are nice. Good range on all of them. Pulling power of this new diesel is impressive. And it comes in nice and soon, but the weight (about 1400 kg) and quiteness of the car leaves you longing for more sensation of speed. In fact, I think my own chipped tdi isn't that much slower if driven correctly.
One thing worried me a bit: I did a quick 'test' of it's sprinting capabilities and while pulling through the gears I definitely noticed a hesitation every time I switched up. Really strange, given the fact that this 16v + variable turbo geometry thing should give it great performance throughout the rev range. Maybe it's just too new...

All in all, this car is great, but I guess it is hardly noticed once on the road. And I find it way to expensive. Over 40.000 euro and still lacking xenon, rain sensor and good stereo (the Concert radio was 'boomy' at best).

Can't wait till the day is over. Then I can drive it back to the dealer! (yes, I do want my own A2 back, strange uh?)

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, TomTom3 PDA Satnav, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

LOL... I loved the pictures of these but in seeing them in the metal they are strangely very annonymous... they will become ever more so once the new A4 is launched with basically the exact same rear lights... Pity...

I think I'll still wait for the allroad version... but imagine the price of that!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Swiv, thanks for the review. Very interesting.
Would consider an A3 Sportback for the next company car in March/April 2005 to replace my Golf GTi 2.0 petrol.
Yet to drive the Sportback, but have been impressed by the petrol 2.0 FSI 3 door version. Very quiet and smooth revving. It was a dark mettalic blue 'Sport' trimmed model with full tan leather interior. NIIIIICE!

Ezza.

Sept 2001 registered A2 1.4 SE in Crystal Blue metallic, Open Sky Roof, Climate, 'Symphony' 6 CD radio & tape, Bose sound system, curtain airbags.

I agree with you Ezza, but I agree with Johann more. As nice as it is, this car will have a hard time making a difference on the road.
However, not everyone owns a car 'to make a difference' :), although many A2 owners do. But in any case I must agree that the owner of an A3, sportback or not, will have a great car that drives very well and looks the part on the inside, albeit at a premium price.
And I cannot imagine myself spending 1.5 times the amount of money (compared to my current A2) to own an A3 like I had yesterday. Even though the sales guy of course insisted on it being a very good follow-up for my current one.
Heck, I've got at least 2.5 years to go in my company car A2....

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, TomTom3 PDA Satnav, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Test drive book for a week on Saturday in our local dealer's 2.0TDi SE manual - dolphin grey with red leather interior. I would have put a marker in it for when it was released from their stock for sale, but ideally I want a DSG box. Every review I've read about the new DSG box says it's a must, especially on the six speed diesels.

daveyjp, I've had a test drive in the A3 2.0 TDi DSG and a TT 3.2 DSG Roadster. The DSG box is truely a revelation. Best of both worlds. Does anyone know how the launch control works?

Shaf

1. Mar 2001 TDi 75 SE, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, winter pack.
2. Nov 2002 TDi 75 Sport, Silver,black/grey interior,climate.
3. Jun 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, wrong interior (black/black), climate, front fogs.
4. Sep 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, leather/alcantara, front fogs. HID Xenon's.

Yes, but as ypou don't own one I shall have to kill you if I tell you!
[3]
Launch only available with the 6 pot motor.

DSG is really rather good, especially once you have attuned yourself to its little foibles.
Yep, Dolphin is very nice, especially with the light grey leather!
;);)
Stopped
Select S or manual
switch off esp
place left foot on brake
floor accelerator
revs rise to max torque
release brake
smile as you skitter off down the road.

To be fair a full boot s mode launch is not discernibly slower!

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back