Just oil or need a service?

Chownie

As some of you know I have inherited my A2 from my dad (Hollyrescue). The service indicator has come on and also low oil light. Looking in the service book it had an inspection service at 23563 miles and the next service is due at 33563 miles. It has only done 29000 miles.
So do I just go and buy some oil and wait till 33000 miles for the service or book it in for a service and have it all done there and then?

Thanks in advance, just want whats best for the car as it was dads and I love my A2! :D

Peter

As some of you know I have inherited my A2 from my dad (Hollyrescue). The service indicator has come on and also low oil light. Looking in the service book it had an inspection service at 23563 miles and the next service is due at 33563 miles. It has only done 29000 miles.
So do I just go and buy some oil and wait till 33000 miles for the service or book it in for a service and have it all done there and then?

Thanks in advance, just want whats best for the car as it was dads and I love my A2! :D

Peter

Hi Peter,

I suspect what has happened is that when it was last serviced, the technician hasn't disabled the VSI function (variable service interval) in the instruments. So although your dad took extra care and had the car serviced early, the car is now calling for the service it thinks it should have at about the 30000 mile mark.

If you want to keep to the 10000 mile service intervals, then just top up with a good quality (look for the VW 507 mark on the back of the bottle) oil and ignore the service idicator.

You can reset it manually and I'll show you how to do this next week at ADI if you like.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for that Mike. Off to Halfords to get the oil. Is that all I need to look for on the bottle of oil? Sorry, not too clever when it comes to cars!

Thanks for that Mike. Off to Halfords to get the oil. Is that all I need to look for on the bottle of oil? Sorry, not too clever when it comes to cars!

If you go for the one litre packs, it's actually cheaper to get them from a dealer!!!

Halfords is about £14 per litre and the dealer is about £12.

If you still want Halfords, go for a bottle of Castrol Edge 5W40. It's got the VW 507.00 certification and is entirely compatible with the oil that should be in your TDi

Cheers,

Mike

Back