News Just purchased

needed a cheap and cheerful run a round for the wife and ended up purchasing a 2003 1.6 FSI Sport today...

It has 60k on the clock and a full service history.. I was amazed that a 7 year old car could have zero marks or dents and feel so fresh to drive. The only issue I would find was the temp down button was worn (may be able to source a replacement), the windscreen was cracked (being replaced) and the parcel shelf was missing (new one being sourced).. so nothing major

Such a nice car to drive and thanks to this forum I had a good idea what to look at... may in the future be up for swapping the large wheels if the ride starts to bother my wife (I love it)

Some shots.. we pick it up on Wednesday.. needless to say my wife is very happy which in turn makes me very happy.... will be asking questions very soon no doubt

P1000210.JPG

P1000211.JPG

P1000212.JPG

to be honest.. she wanted a 6n2 Polo as she likes the shape.. I did everything I could to find somethings more fun and interesting.... in the end I threw a few extra grand in the kitty and went on an A2 hunt...

I had an S6 for many years and it was one of the best most reliable cars I have ever owned I hope the A2 experience will be the same... I put this one through its paces on the test drive and was pleasantly surprised at how well the 1.6 petrol pulled the car along...

.. I love the wheels and enjoyed the ride but as this will be primarily a 'mummy wagon' I can see these being replaced with a more comfortable 15 or 16" variant later on...

Just need to source a parcel shelf/blind in black.. and i will sort the aircon temp down button if i can find a non working module to use as a donor from a breakers

just got her home... 70 miles in the p*ssing rain was not fun.. I drove the frist 20 and then swapped to let my wife drive.. she proceeded to struggle with the auto wiper system (of course that was my fault it wouldn't work for her)

Made it home in one piece and very, very happy with the purchase.. look forward to tinkering now and am still on the hunt for that elusive parcel shelf

hello and welcome. looks like a nice find you've got yourself there, hope you enjoy your ownership like the rest of us here.

Just thought I would update

I am loving the 1.6FSI Sport.. I was worried my wife would hate the ride on the 17's but she thinks it is great so I am happy with that also..

Driving Experience
The ride on the Sport suspension and 17's is actually quite smooth, speed bumps are no problem and i think the handling is sublime for a car in this class - my only complaint is on slightly rough surfaced A/B roads, you do feel the texture on this road

Engine
1.6 FSI is a lovely engine, pulls through all the gears and allows for lazy 4th and 5th gear driving around town - one observation is that the setup is tuned to cruise at 65mph which means that it is relaxing to drive and keep the economy figures up in the mid 40's with no issues

Economy
So far drive about 400 miles in the last few weeks and averaged 43.8mpg - on a 1.6 petrol I really have no complaints there... if i actually tried (as I did at the beginning) I could hit 50 with no issues

Interior
for a 7 years old car the interior is in great condition - no issues to report here - the sport seats are nice and everything just works as it should. DIS2 told me I had a blown dipped bulb after the first week (which I replaced) and there is a little bit of wear on the fan speed button but that's about it. I managed to source a parcel shelf for £50.

Exterior
Gave it a reasonable clean at the weekend and am amazed, there are a few marks but you really have to look hard to find them. The wheels need a little work (wife kerbed one on second day) but this is a Sunday project that I will do very soon. When the weather is better I will remove the scuffs, claybar and perform the Meg 3 step program to really make it gleam

Electrics
Everything does what it should - had to replace the wiper relay but this was £10 off ebay and a 5 minute job. Am currently trying to source a replacement boot latch at the mechanism that works the microswitch is broken so no boot light or DIS2 warning if the boot is left open. I replaced the daytime running lights with LED's for the sake of it and these look really smart in the front, may do the same for the rear plate lights when I get chance

Conclusion
I love the drive and handling, infact I would go so far as to say that the car handles more like a warm hatch and a mini MPV and this was a real surprise to me (my car is a Civic Type-R) - engine can be pushed or will allow for smooth economical driving - what's not to like??

There has been a flurry of 1.6 purchases recently (myself included) and we all seem to have positive things to say about the performance and economy they give.
I didn't realise until seeing your sport model that it's only the SE models which have front fog lights as standard - I thought Sport models had them too but only if fitted as an optional extra it seems.

this is true.. I wanted the spots but from what I have read on here they are not really any good so it is no real loss

... the suspension setup and the wheels are great on the Sport.. I didn't realise until reading on there that the whole shock/spring setup was different between the SE and Sport....

Looks Great, you find it hard to source a air-con fascia whithout wear marks its a very common problem and well posted on here (its something i think you get use to)

Phil

there is one on fleabay at the moment @ £44 inc postage with 20h remaining.. have the feeling it will go for a lot more with 10 bids so far... as you say this is something I will just live with.. may pay the occasional visit to the local breakers and see if I can find a damaged unit that I can just the buttons from (along with the window switches)

Got a mint parcel shelf from a member on this forum at the weekend for a great price and another member is hopefully going to sell me a spare boot latch with working microswitch mechanism.... so life is good...

Nice to be a member of another great forum.,, my other car is a Ciivic Type-R and that forum is also great for this kind of stuff

Just need a new tailgate liner panel as the handle is broken on mine and the one I ordered from fleabay was grey and not black... d'oh

Hope to become a useful member of the forum and not just a taker..

Thanks
Martin

Go for older A4/A3 climate panel!

The buttons are the same but just a bit fiddlie to change.

The buttons are a lot harder wearing than the soul black emulsion painted ones.

Darren

Go for older A4/A3 climate panel!

The buttons are the same but just a bit fiddlie to change.

The buttons are a lot harder wearing than the soul black emulsion painted ones.

Darren

I looked for these on fleabay and they are going for more money that the A2 panel I was watching x2 or even x4... good tip though, at least I can look for broken worthless units at a breakers

Back